Italian style garlic white sauce pasta recipe step by step with pictures. In this recipe boiled pasta is cooked in a delicious white creamy sauce, seasoned with garlic, oregano, parseley and basil, are garlished with lots of parmesan cheese.
Italian food is incomplete without herbs, so to get the authentic taste, oregano, basil, parsley and garlic must be used in this italian style recipe. This is a veg pasta recipe. Here garlic has been used in a different way to make it more scrumptious. That’s why I describe this recipe as garlic white sauce pasta.
Though garlic doesn’t have much use in authentic Italian recipes, because of its overpowering nature, only we can use for a mild flavor. That’s why, here I’ve used a little amount of finely chopped garlic to enhance its taste. However, I retain the same taste as Italian cuisine does.
Pasta is very popular among kids, even my kid is a true fan of white sauce pasta. I often prepare it for his tiffin, that is a very good tiffin idea for school going kids. Not only kids, we elders who love Italian food, also have immense love towards pasta. Among delicious and quick dinner ideas, pasta works great among all recipes.
For making this italian style garlic white sauce pasta, I used durum wheat penne pasta. You can also use macaroni, farfalle, conchiglie pasta or even whole wheat penne pasta too for making this recipe.
Pasta is itself not healthy as it’s prepared from all purpose flour which is high in carbs. Even white sauce is not healthy compared to red sauce. On the other haand, like other italian recipes cheese is must in any pasta recipes and apart from using lots of butter, all purpose flour and milk that creamy white sauce or béchamel sauce can not be made. Cheese, butter and milk together make it rich, contains higher fat contents moreover that it’s high in calories. Though it’s delicious but we could not say white sauce pasta is good for health. To get health benefits from you may use dairy free product in this recipe as vegan and jain people do.
You may check my some italian recipes from my website
- Mini pizza recipe
- Red sauce pasta
- Stuffed Garlic Bread recipe
- Dominos Style Veg pizza recipe
- Chicken pizza recipe
Try this creamy white sauce pasta recipe which you ever tasted before at home. Please leave your valuable comment in the comment section below.
Italian style garlic white sauce pasta recipe
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Served in: 25 mins
Servings: 4 people
Author: Moumita Paul
How to boil pasta
- 1 cup penne pasta
- 1/2 tsp olive oil(or vegetable oil)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups of water
For making creamy white sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp maida or all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed white pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt(as per taste)
For the Seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic(finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp parsley(finely chopped if fresh)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese(grated)
- 4-5 black olives(cut into slice)
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
How to make italian style garlic white sauce pasta step by step with pictures
How to make the Seasoning
- First, place a pan on the low heat, add butter to it.
- Then add 1 tsp finely chopped garlic to it and stir it until it gets light golden brown color.
- Next add parsley (finely chopped if fresh), oregano and basil to it.
- Then fry it until the garlic gets a nice golden brown color and gets crisp along with the herbs. As shown in the pic.
- Lastly, remove it from the pan and keep it aside. Even you can crush the seasoning before adding to the pasta.
How to boil the pasta
- First, take a pan with 3 cups of water and place it on high flame.
- Then add salt and oil to the water and bring it to boil.
- Once the water starts boiling, add 1 cup penne pasta to it.
- Stir it occasionally till 5 minutes, after 5 mins, check the pasta are perfectly boiled or not. Then remove one pasta from the pan and cut it with a spoon or fork.
- For me, it takes about 10 mins to cook. Boil it until you can easily cut the pasta as shown in the pic.
- Then immediately remove it from the heat and strain the water from it. As shown in the pic.
How to make creamy white sauce(or béchamel sauce)
- Take a pan, place it on low flame, add 2 tbsp butter to it, let the butter melts.
- When butter completely melts down, add 1 1/2 tbsp maida or all purpose flour to it.
- Then stir it continuously that no single lump can’t be formed. Stir it until the butter-flour mix gets a light golden brown color.
- Now add 1/2 cup of cold milk(cold milk prevents it from making lump) to it. Stir it continuously to make the sauce lump free. Even you can use a whisker to stir it in a better way.
- The milk should be nicely mixed with the butter-flour mix without making a single lump. Then gradually add the rest of the milk into two batches. Addition of milk in 2-3 batches will help to make a smooth, creamy, lump-free white sauce.
- Then add salt, nutmeg powder, and crushed white pepper to it. Mix it nicely.
- This creamy white sauce gravy will be a little thick as shown in the pic. Italian creamy white sauce which is also called béchamel sauce(in french) is ready for the pasta.
How to make white sauce pasta
- Once the white sauce is ready, add the pasta and mix it nicely with it.
- Now add the seasoning from the top and mix it nicely with the pasta.
- Then add the sliced black olives and lastly add 1/2 tsp of chili flakes(optional) to it, mix it nicely.
- Now, cook it for 2-3 mins on low flame and switch off the flame.
- Then immediately add the grated parmesan cheese(optional)it. Stir it once to mix it.
- Now, your italian style garlic white sauce pasta is ready to serve. Serve it hot and relish it with a drink.
- Always add cold milk. After adding cold milk quick stir or whisk is essential to prevent forming lumps.
- Don’t allow the white sauce to be more thicken, that might get it dry and sticky.
- Don’t use cheese if you pack it as kids’ tiffin. As the cheese will make it dry and sticky when it releases the heat.
- You can use little-boiled corn, capsicum or carrots(finely chopped) to it. Though I prefer to use the black olives to this recipe.
- Although you can prepare this dish with any types of pastas, i.e, macaroni, farfalle, conchiglie pasta, etc.
- Do you know how italian makes this creamy white sauce? They use cold milk or the milk straight from the refrigerator to prevent forming lumps. Yes, hot milk or milk at room temperature can create the lump in your silky smooth white sauce. In Italian cuisine, three ingredients are must used, i.e, cold milk, nutmeg powder, and white pepper as I told first. This creamy sauce is also called white sauce in Italy and béchamel sauce in France .