Veg noodles recipe or vegetable noodles recipe or veg chowmein recipe described in detail with step by step pictures. It’s a simply delicious recipe of wheat flour noodles made of colorful veggies and flavourful Chinese sauces. It’s actually a fried version of noodles which is very popular in the whole world. According to the Chinese language, this stir-fried noodle is also known as chow mein. Even this is one of the best recipes among all dry version noodles. This dry version noodle is also most favorite among Indian people from kids to young. Just like in my home because of my kid noodle is a commonly made dish.
Noodles is basically a dish of the East Asian region, and it is mostly famous for its spiral shape and quick making process. Where some of them are with healthy soupy variations and the rest of the kind is basically dry. This vegetable stuffed noodle belongs to the last variation. Even it is a very simple and easy recipe for noodles that anybody can easily make it in a few minutes. Just by a quick sauté of boiled noodles with veggies and a perfect touch up of few Chinese sauces and seasoning.
Among different varieties of noodles, because of its veg content, it has a huge demand among vegetarian people. This classic veggie oriented noodle goes awesome with any Indo Chinese style gravy. However, being a pure non-vegetarian I personally prefer this stir-fried mixed veg noddles with any of my Chinese gravies. Such as chili chicken, chili fish, or even chili prawns taste great with this veggie-based noodle. Whereas for vegetarian, baby corn Manchurian, soya chili, chili baby corn, chili mushroom, veg Manchurian balls are perfect options to serve with these noodles.
Though in my childhood I first started recognizing Maggi as noodles due to its Tv add. But then because of its high price, it rarely comes to our house, instead, chowmein was common at our home during weekends. And those noodles generally came with small packets named chow or chow chow. Which was comparatively thin shaped than today’s version of wheat flour noodles. All ’80s born Bengali kids can relate with me, I guess.
I can also recall the memories when my mom served a small bowl of chow mien made me so happy those days and it was close to my heart. Even then a street style versions of this chow mein were available in the roadside fast food shops. As then my dad never allows to taste it so I had a great attraction to it. Though later realized, my mom’s simple homemade version chow mein was best than the spicy street style version.
Even though then I had no idea about the difference between noodles or chowmein, ever never felt any curiosity over its different name whereas look alike. Even till a certain age, I could not even differentiate between hakka style noodles and chow mein. Later my curiosity helps me to know each and every finest detail about almost all recipes of fried noodles.
Anyway, start making this noodle with all of the veggies available in your kitchen. But must remember like other Chinese dishes, noodles also can not be made without garlic. So before started making this noddle, must check the garlic and all of the sauces are in place which will create the best flavor in it. Must follow all of my tips and tricks to make it perfect. Hope your family and kids will love it too.
You may also check some of my other Chinese recipes, i.e, Veg Fried Rice, Chili Chicken, Chili Prawns, Baby Corn Manchurian. Even as a Chinese appetizer you may check my Veg Momos Recipe too from my website.
Must try this noodle in your kitchen and enjoy it at dinner with your family and friends. Don’t forget to let me know your valuable feedback about this recipe by writing it down in the comment section below.
Tips and tricks for the best homemade noodles
- After the first 3 mins of boiling the noodles must check it frequently as how I mentioned in this recipe. Don’t overcook the noodles.
- Though here I did not use msg or Chinese salt for flavoring because of their harmful aspects. But to get restaurant flavor in your noodle you can go it.
- Must keep the flame in the highest mode from the beginning to the end of this cooking method.
- As the dish will be prepared in high heat so must keep all the ingredients ready close to your hand for your convenience.
- For the best time management first, boil the noodles. After boiling when kept it for removing water then only do the rest of its preparation.
- As noodles generally can not be spicy, so only pepper and few green chilies are added in this recipe. But you may use little green or red chili sauce if you wish.
- If are a nonvegetarian then may add one or two eggs or little stir-fried chicken pieces or shrimp in it. Though then must saute the meat or fish in oil with garlic, pepper, and salt.
- Here I have used Kim brand’s veg noodles, you may use any other brands too. Even for kids, you may choose the whole wheat version too.
veg noodles recipe | vegetable noodles recipe | veg chowmein recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Served in: 25 mins
Served for: 5 people
Cuisine: Indo Chinese
Author: Moumita Paul
Ingredients of veg noodles
For boiling noodles
- 250 gm noodles
- 3 cups of water(750 ml)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
For preparing noodles after boiling
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tsp oil
For cooking of noodles
- 1 onion(square cut)
- 1 medium carrot(julienne cut)
- 3/4 cups shredded cabbage
- 3/4 cup of mixed bell peppers
- 3 green chillis
- 2 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp ginger(chopped)
- 5 tbsp chopped spring onion
- 2-3 tbsp chopped onion
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp pepper
- salt(as required)
- 3 tbsp oil
How to make veg noodles or chowmein recipe
How to boil noodles
- Take a bowl with 500-600ml water, add salt and oil it and let it boil on high flame.
- When the water starts boiling then add a packet of noodles to the water. I don’t break it but you may break the roll into pieces too.
- Once the noodles get soft means when you can its easily make it flat between your fingertips but not mashed. It will take hardly 3-4 mins or may take more as per the thickness of your noodle.
- Then immediately strain it and wash it with 3-4 cups of normal water(at room temperature).
- Let the water completely removed from the noddles. So keep it in the strainer for 10 mins.
- After 10 mins of perfect straining when the water almost removed from the noodles, add 2 tsp of oil to it.
- Mix the oil well with the noodle(it’s a trick) to prevent it from drying and sticking to each other.
How to make veg noodles
- Take a pan put it on high flame, make it hot, pour oil in it. When the oil gets hot, first add chopped ginger, sauté it for 10- 15 sec.
- Then add chopped or minced garlic to the pan and once again sauté it for 10-15 sec.
- Next, add chopped spring onions bulb or just add chopped onion. Sauté it well for hardly 30 secs.
- Then add square-cut onion, stir it nicely and sauté it for a few seconds. Add carrot and cabbage to it and make it sautéed well for a min.
- Lastly, add red green and yellow bell pepper and stir it well for few secs. And then add chopped green chilies too.
- Then add dark soya sauce and vinegar one by one and nicely mix it up with the vegetables.
- Add tomato sauce or ketchup to the pan and sauté it well with the veggies for 1 min.
- Add salt and pepper, mix it well the veggies and nicely stir fry it for few secs.
- Then add the noddles to the pan, give it a good stir to mix it well with veggies, sauces, and seasoning.
- After 1 to 2 mins of continuous frying add chopped spring onion with the noodles and give it a good stir.
- Thereafter, in the same way, with the continuous stir, fry the noodles for 3-4 mins and turn off the heat. Your vegetable noodles or veg chowmein is ready to serve.