Veg momos recipe – learn how to make delicious vegetable stuffed steamed momos at home with step-by-step pictures. Veg momos mean steamed or fried vegetable stuffed dumplings. Grated cabbage, carrot, onion, ginger, garlic, soya sauce, and few seasonings are sauteed in vegetable oil for making these momos stuffing. Lastly, the sauteed vegetables are stuffed in a flour-based wrapper and steamed or fried to prepare this dumpling. Must serve these veg dumplings with spicy chilli garlic chutney.
“Momos” is a Tibetan term, means a steamed or fried dumpling recipe stuffed with vegetable or any non-veg fillings. As steamed momos are more healthy so I often make it at home. Like other momo recipes, this vegetarian dumpling also has two steps making process and also served with the same spicy chili garlic chutney. Though all momos’ dough is prepared by the same making process and only its different stuffing ingredients basically create the varieties.
Momo’s dough is basically made of maida or plain flour though you may replace it with atta or whole wheat flour or even rice flour as per your choice. Even the concept of veg momos stuffing is always changed from fresh vegetables to soya bean to corn or even paneer. For making this veg momos filling mainly cabbage, carrot, spring onion, and ginger-garlic are used to sauteed in oil with dark soya sauce, vinegar, and pepper-salt seasoning.
Though momo is actually a Tibetan dish, gradually Nepal, Bhutan, and India’s northeast states influenced by it. Now in India almost everywhere you will see the finest momo shops even you can find at least one momo’s stall around your locality. Momos are considered as popular street food in and around India as a healthy and pocket-friendly evening time snacks.
Momo’s stuffing can be easily made at home but its wrapping technique is a little difficult and time-consuming. So as a beginner start folding it with simple and easy methods and for the time being, you will be best at it. As even I took a long time to perfectly wrap these dumplings watching different techniques through online youtube videos.
People have a common question, “How to steam momos without a momo steamer?” Don’t worry even I don’t have momo’s steamer. I use my idli steamer for making these dumplings, you may use it too. Even if you don’t have that too, you simply use a colander. Just grease a colander pan with oil and place it on another pan where water will be kept for boiling. So your homemade momo steamer is ready. Even instead of greasing oil, you may place a portion of banana leaf or cabbage leaves on the colander before steaming that will also prevent your momos from sticking to the bottom.
Though some of the momos stop even serves different types of fusion momos like fried, schezwan, or tandoori. But I love the simple steamed version and a plate of sizzling momos really make my day. I generally prepare momos for dinner with veg or non-veg stuffing. But in my home that hot red chili garlic chutney is a must with momos as without it we can’t feel that street style taste.
Try this delicious veg momo at home and let me know your valuable feedback about this recipe in the comment section below.
I have also shared my Momos Chutney Recipe in the next post, so must try these veg momos with that dip.
You may try some popular evening snacks recipes from my website, i.e,
Veg momos recipe | Steamed vegetable momos
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Served in: 1 hr
Course: Evening snacks
Total no of servings- 20 -22
Author: Moumita Paul
Ingredients of veg momos
- 1.5 cup grated cabbage
- 3/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup or 8 tbsp onion(chopped)
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 3 tsp vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tbsp green chilies
- 5-6 tbsp spring onion
- 3 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
For making momos dough
- 1.5 cup maida or flour
- 2.5 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp water
How to make veg momos recipe
step by step method
Making of momo’s dough
- Take 1 1/2 cup of flour or maida in a mixing bowl add 1/2 tsp salt, 2 1/2 tsp oil with it.
- Thoroughly mix the salt and oil with your fingertips. Once the flour is mixed well with it then gradually add water and start kneading it. For me, it took 10 tbsp of water to make a smooth dough.
- But this momo dough neither be too soft like puri nor hard like a samosa.
- When momos dough is ready cover it with a moist kitchen towel or covers it with a tight lid for about 30 mins or till preparing it fillings.
How to make veg momos
- Take a pan, heat it up on medium-high flame, then first add 3 1/2 tbsp of vegetable oil. When the oil gets hot, first add 1 1/2 tsp of chopped garlic stir it once.
- Then add chopped ginger, green chilies, 5 tbsp chopped onion, and 4 tbsp chopped spring onion to the pan and sauté it well for 1-2 mins with 1 tsp pepper.
- After 2 mins, add grated cabbage, grated carrot to the pan, and mix it well with all ingredients. Sauté it for 1-2 more mins.
- Then add soya sauce and vinegar, and sauté it well.
- After that add 1/2 tsp of salt and mix well. At this moment sauté all the veggies for 15 mins on slow flame by stirring frequently.
- After 15 mins of cooking add the rest of 2 tbsp chopped spring onion, mix it well and lastly add 3 tbsp of chopped onion give a good stir and turn off the flame. veg momos stuffing is ready.
How to fold or wrap momos
- To give it shape, we need to go through two steps, first making its cover and secondly folding techniques.
- For making its cover, take the dough(prepared earlier) and make the small balls out of it. The small doughs or balls must be a little smaller than puri dough.
- Then sprinkle some flour on it and roll the balls in the flour and give it a proper round shape.
- Then dust little flour on the rolling board and start rolling the doughs with 3-4 inch diameter. And then make its edges thin with the rolling pin. But the center must be thick.
- After making all momo sheets sprinkle little flour on it to protect it from dryness and sticking to each other. And place a damp cloth or kitchen towel on the sheets to prevent it from drying.
- When all the cover or sheet is ready then its time to fold it. Take a sheet on your palm, then add 1 tbsp of stuffing on its center and start folding it with your fingertips.
- First, make one pleat with its edges and press the ends hard with your fingertips(the help of thumb and pointer finger).
- Then make each pleat and join its ends with the last one and press it down a little hard.
- You can see while pleating the dough, it will be gradually moving on your palm to close its ends.
- lastly, join the last pleat with the first one. (Soon I will post the video to show how easily you can fold this veg momo.)
- Apply the same process to give the whole batches of momos to a perfect shape.
How to steam momos(without momo steamer)
- Take the idli steamer plate or a colander, grease it with oil, then place these vegetable momos on it maintaining little space with each other.
- Then heat the steamer and carefully place the plate in it. Or heat the bowl with water and then place the colander on its mouth. And then cover the pan and close steamer and leave it for 5-6 mins.
- When the stuffing will be transparent through its cover that indicates it is done. Remove it immediately from the steamer or colander.
- When all the batches are steamed, serve these vegetable momos with spicy red chutney.
- Twice I’ve added onion and spring onion, lastly, I’ve added it to retain the crunchiness of onion which gives me the shop-like feelings.
- You may use any simple folding method actually taste matters, not the shape, right?
- Don’t cook these momos for a long time that will make it dry and chewy.