Easy tandoori prawns recipe – Learn how to make these tandoori prawns recipe at home with step-by-step pictures. Tandoori prawns is an easy prawn starter of indian cuisine mostly popular among prawns aka seafood lovers. It is a kind of grilled prawns starter prepares in a special oven.
What is tandoori prawns? A wonderful prawn starter made by well-marinated prawns with yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, and tandoori masala(a special indian spice) and grilled/roasted in a tandoor oven is called tandoori prawns.
Whereas tandoor is a special cylindrical-shaped covered charcoal oven and only found in indian restaurants popular for their tandoor recipes. On the other hand, tandoori masala is a special indian spice used in every tandoori recipe. As a result, tandoori masala is easily available in the Indian market. So you may easily prepare this tandoori prawns recipe with that store-bought masala. However, managing a tandoor oven at home is next to impossible.
Don’t worry, for making this tandoori prawns recipe neither you need a tandoor oven nor the store-bought tandoori masala. As I will show how perfectly tandoori prawn can be made at home just on a gas stove by using a grill pan. Even you can see, how my homemade tandoori masala creates its magic over this dish.
As prawns are also known as jhinga in a few Indian cuisines. So this tandoori prawns are also described as tandoori jhinga in a few restaurants’ starter menus which belong to those particular cuisines.
Generally, for making this tandoori prawns recipe, I mostly use medium white prawns or tiger prawns. Though as per my experience giant or big king-size tiger prawns are best for making tandoori prawns. Although taste-wise there is no difference between white prawns or tiger prawns.
If I talk about the marination. I marinade the prawns with almost the same ingredients used in marinating the chicken for making my tandoori chicken recipe. Only the ingredients are used in less quantity as per the weight of prawns compared to the chicken.
Even if you once make any tandoori starter, from the next time you can easily make this dish even if the main ingredients are also changed. As the methods, and ingredients are almost the same, so instead of using chicken or prawn, you can easily make this dish with fish, panner, or mushrooms just by following the same recipe.
You can easily make this tandoori prawns in a grilled pan or even a regular used tawa of your kitchen. But what about the smokey flavour and charred effect, the main attraction of any tandoori recipes? To create the smokey flavour apply the same ghee- burning charcoal technique I applied in my tandoori chicken recipe. Whereas roasting the prawns in the direct flame brings the charred effect.
I mostly serve this tandoori prawn as a starter and served before dinner with my dhania-pudina chutney, onion rings, and lemon wedges by sprinkling a little chaat masala on its top. Even you may easily serve it with only lemon juice and chaat masala, that works well too.
Is this tandoori prawn spicy?
No, tandoori prawn is not spicy at all though its spiciness is totally up to you. Adding more chili powder in marination or in tandoori masala can make it hot and spicy. But I always maintain the spice level for my kid, you may do the same or you may use less or more spice as per your taste.
Other prawn/shrimp starters from my websites for example,
Grilled prawns, Prawn cutlet, Crispy batter-fried prawns, Butter garlic prawn, Prawn tempura, Prawn ghee roast, Jumbo prawns recipe, etc, even you may try my prawn recipes section for some prawn curries.
Easy tandoori prawns recipe
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Served for: 3 people
Author: Moumita Paul
For first marination
- 300 gms Prawns
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
For second marination
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- 3/4 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp homemade tandoori masala
- 1/4 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tbsp curd/yogurt
- 1/4 tsp black salt
- 1/8 tsp red food color (optional)
- 2 1/2 tsp mustard oil
- 1 tsp besan/gram flour
- 1 tsp ghee
- 4-5 tbsp butter
- Grilled pan or plain tawa
- Roti grill jali
- Skewers(wooden or iron)
How to make easy tandoori prawns recipe with step by step pictures
How to clean prawns for making this recipe
- Take the prawns, take out its head, cut its shell along its back except for the tail portion, and take out its vein.
- Wash and thoroughly clean the prawns, make them dry. Keep it in a mixing bowl.
Marinade the prawns for making this recipe
- First, Marinade the prawns with 1/2 lemon juice, chilli powder, vegetable oil and mix it together, cover the bowl with a plate and keep it aside for 30 mins.
- After 30 mins, again marinade the prawns with ginger-garlic paste, curd, or yogurt, Kashmiri chilli powder, black pepper, turmeric powder, chaat masala, black salt, special homemade tandoori masala(to check the recipe click on my tandoori chicken recipe), salt, and mustard oil. Marinate the prawns for at least 1 hr by covering the bowl.
- After an hour, lastly, add besan or gram flour with the marinated prawns and mix it well.
- Then take the soaked skewers( soaked for 3-4 hours) and put the prawns one by one into the skewer. For a wooden skewer, don’t put more than 3-4 prawns in one skewer. And don’t use the excess gravy of the marination.
- Once all the prawn skewers are ready, keep it aside.
How to grill tandoori prawns
On grilled pan/tawa
- Heat the grill pan/tawa, add butter, let it melts down, and use a brush to spread the butter all over the pan.
- Put the prawn skewers on the pan and let it cook in the butter.
- After 4-5 mins turn the prawns and let the other side cook for about 4 more mins.
- Once the prawns cooked, then remove the pan from the gas. Take a piece of charcoal and place it on the direct flame of gas, let it get burnt. Place the burning charcoal into a small bowl(steel/aluminum/ brass/ copper bowl) kept in the grilled pan, add a teaspoon of ghee to the burning charcoal, and let the smoke comes out of the coal.
- Once the smokes start coming, then immediately cover the pan with a big plate. Let the smokey flavor infused into the prawns for about 10 mins.
On grill jali
- For grilling the prawns, first put a roti grill jali on the gas stove flame. Then put the prawn skewers on it and grease it with some butter which is still left in the grill pan.
- Grill the prawns from both sides by nicely greasing them with butter.
- When the charred or grilled effect is visible on the prawns, indicates it is done. Then stop grilling and remove it from the flame. As shown in the picture below.
- Restaurant-style smokey grilled tandoori prawns are ready. Serve it hot with salads and green chutney(click here for the recipe), by sprinkling lemon juice and chat masala on its top and enjoy with your family.
- Don’t put the prawns in the direct flame for a long time. Otherwise, the prawns will lose their juiciness even get dry, hard, and chewy.
- For using wooden skewers must soak in water. It will prevent the skewers from getting burnt while grilling the prawns on the direct flame.