Authentic Tandoori chicken recipe on gas oven with step by step detailed pictures. Today we will learn, how to make a restaurant-style delicious tandoori chicken recipe at home without using an oven. Tandoori chicken was originated in Indian subcontinent and now it is one of the most popular starters in the whole world. It is most popular as a spicy, tender, juicy, smokey flavored, authentic Indian grilled chicken recipe.
Tandoori chicken is mostly available in roadside food joints, dhabas, and all non-vegetarian restaurants own a traditional tandoor oven. A cylindrical shaped covered clay oven called tandoor is used for making this chicken starter and this recipe named after the oven.
Basically well marinated whole chicken, or full chicken leg pieces are used for making this recipe. Though chicken is being marinated in hung curd or thick yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, and a special tandoori masala for long hours before cooking.
As in India, in our local language, chicken is also known as murgh and as it is prepared in tandoor, so it is also popular as tandoori murgh, or murgh tandoor.
Though store-bought ready-made tandoori chicken masala is easily available in the market. But in this recipe, I use my own homemade tandoori masala. Don’t worry those spices are mostly available in every kitchen.
As we Indians are more familiar to cook food in gas. So I decided to prepare this tandoori chicken recipe on my stovetop. Though I have also explained how to make it in a oven. Use any one of these as per your convenience.
Professional says any tandoori preparation must go through 2 steps of marination. Even I use 2 steps cooking method too while making it at home to get perfectly juicy and succulent chicken.
Slow cooking of well-marinated chicken in a covered pan makes it juicy and tender. And to get the same restaurant-style texture at home, either lastly, grill the chicken pieces in a grilled pan or roast it in the direct flame of the stove by greasing some butter. That’s it.
Though using a pinch of red food color also helps to get the exact texture of this chicken roast. But you may avoid it for health reasons.
kids to the elder all love it. You may serve it before dinner as an appetizer or with dinner as a side dish. Must serve it with few lemon wedges, slices of onion, and a Green Coriander-Mint Chutney(from my website). Even the sprinkle of chaat masala and lemon juice must enhance the taste of this hot smoky tandoori chicken.
Try some other chicken starters from my site
Tandoori chicken recipe on gas oven
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Servings: 4 people
Author: Moumita Paul
- 4 full chicken legs(weighs 700gm)
- 1/2 cup hung curd or thick yogurt
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 1/4 tsp spicy red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp red food colour(optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard oil
- 1.5 tsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp homemade tandoor masala
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- 1 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 3 tbsp roasted gram flour or sattu
- 1 tsp ghee
- 4-5 tbsp butter
- salt(as per taste)
Homemade chicken tandoori masala recipe
- 1 tbsp Kasuri methi
- 1 black cardamom
- 5-6 green cardamom
- 1-inch cinnamon
- 8 cloves
- 1/2 mace
- 1/4 nutmeg
- a pinch of hing
How to make tandoori chicken recipe with step by step pictures recipe
Making of homemade chicken tandoori masala
- Take Kasuri methi, black cardamom, green cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, mace, nutmeg, hing in a grinder jar.
- Then grind it together to make a fine powdered homemade tandoori masala. Keep it aside for later.
Marination of chicken
First step of marination
- Take 4 full chicken leg pieces that weigh 700 gm, even you may take breast pieces too. Wash it in lukewarm water, and squeeze to remove water. Keep it in a mixing bowl.
- Then take a knife and make 4 to 5 slits on the each chicken pieces.
- Marinade the chicken with 1 lemon juice, 3/4 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil.
- Mix it well, cover the mixing bowl and leave it for 30 mins.
Second step Marination
- After 30 mins, marinade the chicken with ginger- garlic paste, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, Kashmiri chilli powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, black salt, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp homemade tandoor masala, or 1 &1/2 tsp store-bought masala, chaat masala, hung curd or thick yogurt, 1 &1/2 tsp mustard oil. Mix it well.
- Lastly, add 3 tbsp dry roasted gram flour or besan or even sattu and 1/4 tsp red food colour. Again mix it well and cover the bowl and leave it to marinade for 2 hrs.
smoking method for tandoori chicken
- After 2 hrs, place a small metal bowl in the marinated chicken, burn a piece of charcoal and place it on the same bowl with a teaspoon of ghee.
- That will start releasing smoke, so immediately cover the bowl with a plate and leave it for 10 mins. Within 10 mins, the chicken will absorb the smoke.
- Just after 10 mins, take out the bowl contains burning charcoal.
How to make tandoori chicken
- Heat a pan or tawa on low to medium flame, add 3 cubes of butter, let it completely meltdown.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan, cover the pan, and cook it on a slow flame for 10 mins.
- After 10 mins, turn the chicken pieces and again cover the pan to cook the other side of chicken for another 10 mins.
- After this 20 mins of cooking, the chicken will be juicy and tender. Must check it with a knife or fork, if it easily inserts into the chicken, indicates the chicken is perfectly cooked.
- Then remove the chicken pieces on a plate. And put the rest of the uncooked chicken into the same pan and cook it in the same way described above.
- When all the chicken pieces are nicely cooked. Heat a grill pan (or even a tawa) on medium to high heat, add 4 small butter cubes, grease the pan with it.
- Once the butter melts down, then add the chicken pieces to it and fry it from both sides by brushing some butter till the restaurant-style tandoor texture comes.
- The restaurant-style tandoori chicken recipe is ready just on a gas oven, serve it with wedges of lemon, salads, and Green chutney.
- Even after cooking the chicken in the pan, you may grill the chicken by using roti toaster similarly by greasing butter from both sides to get the original effect of a tandoor. Or even you may roast the chicken pieces directly into the flame holding by a thong to get that tandoor style texture. But be careful as a long time in the direct flame can make the chicken dry which sometimes happened in tandoor.
How to make tandoori chicken recipe in microwave
- For micro oven or otg users must preheat the oven at 180 degrees delicious temperature for 20 mins.
- Then place the chicken pieces on the grill rack by putting a plate under the rack to prevent the oven from getting messy.
- Thereafter, use the grill mode to cook the chicken for 10 mins for each side. (same as done in the pan)
- Lastly grease the chicken with butter and grill each side for two and a half minutes. Then your tandoori chicken will be ready to serve.
- You may use the same tandoori masala for making fish, prawn even any meat.
- Here I used milky mist’s probiotic curd which is thick enough and healthy too. Though you may prepare your own hung curd by keeping the runny curd in a strainer or hang it in a cotton cloth for 30 mins. This procedure will help to remove the excess water from the curd to make it thick as required.
- If the chicken weighs 1 kg to 1.5 kg then cut it into four pieces for making this recipe. If the chicken weighs 1.5 to 3 kg, then cut it into 6 pieces.
- A small size chicken weighs less than 1 kg is perfect for making a whole chicken tandoor.