simple homemade pizza sauce recipe – described with step by step pictures. Pizza sauce is basically a tomato-based condiment prepared by blanched tomatoes, garlic, & few italian herbs. pizza sauce is mainly prepared to use as a spread of the pizza base, even until this pizza spread is used other toppings are not added to the pizza base, not even cheese.
This simple homemade pizza sauce recipe is easy to make at home. Only a few ingredients like red ripe tomatoes, garlic, chili flakes, and herbs like basil, and oregano are required for preparing this pizza sauce. Basically, pizza sauce is one more tomato-sauce just with Italian flavour. The purpose of making this sauce was mainly to spread over their flatbreads like pizza.
Though dominos used this awesome spread on their pizzas from the beginning. However, I never ever tried making this sauce at home until I seriously think of making my restaurant-style pizza. Till then I was happy with store-bought tomato ketchup spiced up with chili flakes and spread on my pizza base. As you can see I’ve used it in my mini pizza recipe too.
But I was not satisfied with ketchup as I could not get that exact taste like domino’s or pizza hut, so I started making it at home. Though pizza sauce or spread is easily available in the market. But I feel the homemade version is best for much more healthy, full of nutrients, totally preservative-free, and a less priced option.
pizza sauce is not spicy at all as per its traditional version so you can easily use it to prepare your kids’ pizza recipe. Even the control of using spice is in your hand so you may easily adjust it while making it at home. Even along with spice, you may replace the herbs with indian herbs too. Especially if you don’t like the basil-oregano flavor or these herbs are not available around. Even instead of fresh herbs, you may use dry herbs too as I do.
I have seen people have many doubts about this pizza sauce recipe. Such as, is pizza sauce same as the pasta sauce? If the answer is no, the next question will be, can I use this pizza sauce for making my pasta? So let’s clear such doubts if you have any. First of all, pizza sauce & pasta sauce are almost the same, even there is no huge difference in taste. Secondly, if you’re not a perfectionist then yes, you may use this sauce in your pasta too.
Now when we know, the pizza sauce is just a preparation of tomato sauce, then the question is, what kind of tomato should be used to make it at home. For making this sauce, generally, I choose the best qualities of red ripe tomatoes, which are easily available in any Indian market. Though according to Wikipedia, san Marzano(a variety of tomatoes) is mainly used for making pizza sauce as it is best for its bright red color and taste.
Even you may use sundried tomatoes or canned tomatoes too if the fresh tomatoes are not available around. Just for using sun-dried tomatoes, you first need to soak the tomatoes in hot water for 15-20 minutes and later use it by applying my method. For canned tomatoes, no need to blanch, directly grind or crush them for use in this sauce.
The shelf life of pizza sauce is at least for a week if just after preparing kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container. However, for extended longevity, you can keep it in the freezer in a sterilized glass bottle with fully airtight support. It will remain the same for more than one month. Even to preserve this pizza sauce for a long time, you may use sodium benzoate, considered the best preservatives for food. Which is easily available in local medical shops or pharmacies.
Though I don’t know, taste-wise it’s close to a dominos pizza sauce or not. However, texture-wise my sauce is a real copycat of their version as I’ve seen them using the same in their store.
You may write your valuable feedback about this recipe in the comment section below.
Simple homemade pizza sauce recipe
Prep time: 12 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
Served in: 17 mins
Author: Moumita Paul
- 350 gms tomatoes( 7 medium size tomatoes)
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1.5 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil leaves
- 1.5 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp refined oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
How to make simple homemade pizza sauce recipe
- Take 5 to 7 medium-sized fresh red ripe tomatoes, wash them thoroughly and then make slits on its skin. As shown in the pic. Keep it in a wide bowl.
- Then add boiling water to the tomatoes and make sure the tomatoes should dip into the water. This way blanch the tomatoes by leaving it in hot water for 7-8 mins.
- After 10 mins take the tomatoes out of the water, cool it down.
- Then peel out the tomatoes, remove its top and cut them into four pieces. As I’ve shown in the picture below.
- Then take a grinder jar and add the tomatoes with, 8 medium-size garlic cloves, chilli flakes, salt, dry oregano, and basil leaves.
- Grind it well to make a smooth paste out of it.
- After making its paste add 1/2 tsp of sugar to balance the tanginess of tomato and spiciness of chili. Grind it once again.
- Place a pan on medium to high heat. Once the pan gets hot, add 2 tsp olive oil or refined oil to it. Though I used refined oil. When the oil gets hot, add the tomato paste or puree to the pan.
- Cook the puree for just 5 mins on medium to high heat to get the thick consistency of this sauce. As shown in the pic.
- Then remove the sauce from the pan and it’s ready to use. But let it completely cool down before using it on your pizza base or to store in the refrigerator.
- Lastly, must sauté the tomato paste to remove the raw smell of tomatoes and garlic. Even the sauteeing process will make it thick too, as its running consistency may spoil the taste of your pizza.
- To retain the exact colour of tomatoes, don’t need to peel them out after blanching. As though the peeled tomatoes give more smoothness but loss that bright red color.
- You may use this sauce to prepare 2 medium-sized pizzas and 4 regular pizzas as dominos serve.