Pizza sauce recipe – it’s my simple homemade pizza sauce recipe with step by step pictures. Pizza sauce is basically a tomato-based pizza spread prepared with fresh red ripe tomatoes blanched and ground with chilli, garlic, and Italian herbs. In India, dominos first introduced us with this pizza spread for using it on the pizza base before adding other toppings.
Basically pizza sauce is not too spicy according to its traditional version. But when you make it at home it must depend on your choice. As its an Italian condiment so herbs must be there and without oregano and basil, you won’t get that awesome taste and flavor like original pasta sauce. So must use those stuff while making this sauce in your kitchen. Even instead of fresh herbs, you may use the dry one too like me.
Sometimes people have a question in their mind, is that pizza sauce and pasta sauce(red sauce not the white sauce ) same?
I must say though the ingredients are almost similar, only their methods make the difference. Like in red pasta sauce or marinara sauce, tomatoes are blanched, ground after peeling, and later sautéed in oil with chopped onion, garlic, Italian herbs, and chili flakes. But in pizza sauce, tomatoes are ground with garlic, chilli flakes, and herbs after blanching, then sautéing in oil to make a thick sauce. Even they contain different types of consistency too.
Though you may use pasta sauce in your pizzas too if you have no problem with it. But if you’re particular about the authentic version then you must go through my homemade simple pizza sauce recipe which is described with step by step pictures.
Even you may use a homemade or store-bought pizza base for spreading this pizza sauce over it and that is as important as topping or cheese is used before baking pizza. Though it’s easy to make at home sometimes we all use tomato ketchup for making a quick pizza especially for kids right? Yes, I also do the same while making kid’s tiffin or breakfast in a hurry.
Last few years, I mostly use tomato ketchup in my pizzas even you can see it in my mini pizza recipe too. But with ketchup, I won’t get that exact taste like domino’s or pizza hut so I started making it at home. Though pizza sauce is easily available in the market with different brand names. But the homemade version is much more healthy, full of nutrients, totally preservative-free, and a less priced option.
Just you have to follow some of my tricks and tips to get that same taste. At first, you have to use bright red ripe tomatoes. Secondly without boiling need blanch the tomatoes in hot water for a few minutes. The third one is, ground the tomatoes peeled or unpeeled. Though unpeeled one retains the bright red color in your sauce. On the other hand, peeled tomatoes give more smoothness but loss the perfect color of this pizza sauce. And lastly little sauté the paste in a very less oil to remove the raw smell of tomatoes and garlic. Even that will make it thick too.
Though I don’t know, taste-wise it’s close to a dominos pizza sauce or not but texture-wise my version is a real copycat of their version as I’ve seen them using the same in their store. The shelf life of this tomato sauce is at least for a week if kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container. So, make this sauce at home and enjoy it any time till the week is over. This is the common sauce that is used in any type of pizza even it doesn’t matter the pizza is baking in oven or tawa. Even you may use it for making bread pizza too. And Today I’m sharing this pizza sauce recipe as my next posts will be my veg pizza and chicken pizza.
If you’re making this sauce in your kitchen please let me know your valuable feedback about this recipe in the comment section below.
Pizza sauce recipe | simple homemade pizza sauce recipe
Prep time: 12 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
Served in: 17 mins
Author: Moumita Paul
- 350 gms tomatoes
- 8 medium-size garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp refined oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
How to make simple homemade pizza sauce( with step by step pictures)
- Take red ripe tomatoes, wash it thoroughly and then make slits on its skin. As shown in the pic. Keep it in a wide bowl.
- Then add boiling water to the tomatoes and make sure the tomatoes should dip into the water. This way blanch the tomatoes by leaving it in hot water for 7-8 mins.
- After 10 mins take the tomatoes out of the water, cool it down.
- Then peel out the tomatoes, remove its top and cut into four pieces. As I’ve shown in the picture below.
- Then take a grinder jar and add the tomatoes with, 8 medium-size garlic cloves, chilli flakes, salt, dry oregano, and basil leaves.
- Grind it well to make a smooth paste out of it.
- After making its paste add 1/2 tsp of sugar to balance the tanginess of tomato and spiciness of chili. Grind it once again.
- Place a pan on medium to high heat. Once the pan gets hot, add 2 tsp olive oil or refined oil to it. Though I used refined oil. When the oil gets hot, add the tomato paste or puree to the pan.
- Cook the puree for just 5 mins on medium to high heat to get the thick consistency of this sauce. As shown in the pic.
- Then remove the sauce from the pan and it’s ready to use. But let it completely cool down before using it on your pizza base.
- Though san Marzano is considered as the best tomato for making this sauce according to Wikipedia. But it’s not easily available in the Indian market. So if you’re from India then select the market’s best red & ripe tomatoes for making this sauce. If you’re specific about this tomato then you may order it through online apps, too.
- If you are using sun-dried tomatoes then first soak it in hot water for a few minutes and then use it.
- Even you may use canned tomatoes too then don’t need to blanch just straight grind or crush it well with other ingredients.
- Though here I’ve made the puree after peeling the tomatoes, mostly I don’t peel my tomatoes while grinding. As that retains its deep bright red color though that paste must not be too smooth like this one.
- Must cook the sauce till it gets thick as the running consistency of this sauce may spoil your pizzas.
- With this quantity of this sauce, you may prepare two medium-sized pizzas and four regular pizzas as dominos serve.
- Even you may keep it in the freezer to give it extra life and you can use it for more than one week.