Japanese prawn tempura recipe step by step with pictures. It’s a crispy Japanese prawn fritters recipe, where the prawn is first dipped into the tempura batter and then deep fried in the hot oil. Basically, Japanese tempura is prepared with vegetables and seafood (basically prawns). But for making this Japanese shrimp recipe, tempura flour is a must ingredient.
To make this crispy Japanese shrimp or prawn tempura recipe, a few things must be kept in mind, first, use tempura flour, second, use ice cubes and chilled water to prepare the tempura batter, third after making the batter start making the prawns without wasting time, the fourth is pan should not be crowded with prawns, fry the prawns one at a time and lastly, deep frying the prawns in the hot oil by maintaining the same temperature of the oil. Without any one of these, you won’t get that awesome crunch and taste.
In Japanese crispy prawns or shrimp tempura, a wonderful crunchy golden cover hides the tender and succulent meat of well-cooked shrimp, and its single bite will take you to heaven.
While enjoying the tempura prawns, did you ever notice that the prawns are lying straight on the plate? Generally, the prawns shrink when put in the hot oil as per its nature, but not in this recipe. There is a secret, that Japanese people follow, they break all the veins of the shrimp to keep it straight by using their fingertips and then use it for this easy shrimp tempura recipe.
We love to relish this crispy prawns recipe, but when I was planning to try this shrimp tempura out in my kitchen, I first found tempura flour is not easily available in India. Either I’ve to order it online or I’ve to prepare tempura flour at home for making this recipe. And I chose the second option which seemed more convenient to me. So I prepared my homemade tempura flour with the perfect ratio of each ingredient and today I’ll share that recipe too through this post.
When I first try this recipe with my homemade tempura flour came out wonderfully and I always prepare it at home while making the tempura batter. So it’s my easy recipe for prawn tempura and to know all the secrets please stay connected.
If you love this easy and crispy shrimp tempura recipe, then you must try this recipe at home and please let me know how these Japanese prawns appetizers worked at your home by leaving a comment in the comment section below.
Japanese prawn tempura recipe
Ingredients of prawn tempura
- 12 medium-size white prawns( 350 gms prawns)
- homemade tempura flour
- 1 egg
- 8 ice cubes
- 3 tbsp chilled water
- Oil, for deep frying
For making homemade tempura flour
- 6 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Homemade dipping sauce for tempura prawns
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 3-4 tbsp water
Prep time: 20-25 mins
cook time: 15 mins
Served in: 35- 40 mins
Course: main course
Served for: 3-4 people
Author: Moumita Paul
How to make Japanese prawn tempura recipe at home by step by step pictures
How to make dipping sauce for tempura prawns
- First, take a pan to add 1/2 tsp oil to it.
- Then add 1 tsp finely chopped garlic to the oil and saute it for few seconds.
- Next, add 1 tsp chili flakes to it.
- When the smell of roasted garlic smells come out, add dark soy sauce.
- Just after few seconds when the say sauce totally incorporated with garlic and chili flakes, add water to it.
- Let it boil and make it a little thick.
- Turn off the heat.
How to make homemade tempura flour for this recipe
- Take a mixing bowl, first add sifted 6 tbsp all-purpose flour to it.
- Then add 3 tbsp cornflour to the bowl.
- Add 1 1/2 tbsp rice flour to the bowl.
- Next, add 1/2 tsp baking powder to it and mix it all together well.
- Lastly, add 1/2 tsp salt to it for taste. Mix it nicely and homemade tempura flour is ready to use.
How the prawns are prepared for making prawn tempura?
- First, remove the prawn’s head and take out the shell by cutting it with a scissor, only keeping its tail portion intact.
- Then clean and devein the prawn as usual, make a slit with a knife along its spine where the vein is going through, and take the vein out. (after taking out the vein, was kept it on the left side of the prawn in the pic)
- Next, turn the prawns and keep the prawn’s belly side upward. Make 5-6 light slits make sure prawns should not be sliced through those cuts. As shown in the pic.
- Then press it down with the flat portion of the knife to break all of its veins which will help to keep the prawns straight while frying. (as shown in the pic)
- Then you can use your first three fingertips of your both hands to make sure all the veins got broken or not. As shown in the pic.
- Now scrap its tail by a knife to remove all the dirt and then clean each prawn thoroughly by keeping it in a bowl of water.
- Then place the wet prawns on the kitchen towel or paper towel and place one more towel from the top, then gently press it from the top to dry it up.
- Now prawns are ready to go to the batter.
How to make Japanese prawn tempura recipe with homemade tempura batter
- Take another mixing bowl, first add 5 ice cubes to it, then add 1 egg to the bowl.
- Now start beating the egg in the ice cubes with chopsticks or two skewers or forks or whiskers.
- When the egg is well beaten, slowly add the homemade tempura flour to it. And gently mix it.
- Now add 3 tbsp chilled water to it and mix it slowly, don’t beat it. Then add 3 more ice cubes in the batter to keep it super chill.
- The consistency of the batter must not be too thick or too thin, but it should be light batter as shown in the pic.
- In the meantime, place a deep bottom pan on high heat and add oil for deep frying.
- First, check the oil is correctly hot by leaving a drop of the batter in the hot oil. If the drop immediately comes up in the oil surface and creates small bubbles around it, that indicates the oil is ready to fry prawns.
- Now take each prawn by holding its tail and put it in the tempura flour first to roll the raw shrimp in it.
- Then put it into the batter to ensure that it fully gets coated(except the tail portion) with the tempura batter.
- Then put the prawn into the hot oil and shake each prawn in the oil for 5 to 6 seconds by holding its tail. Then leave its tail in the oil too.
- let it fry for a few seconds then turn it to get the other side done.
- When the shrimp turned to be a nice golden colour then take the prawns out of the pan.
- And place the fried prawns on the paper towel to soak the excess oil.
- Don’t put more than two prawns in the pan, though frying one by one is the basic rule of this tempura shrimp.
- Serve this tempura prawns hot with mayo or homemade sauce(described above) or both.
- To make the perfect Prawn Tempura, it is crucial to pay attention to a few key details. First and foremost, ensure that the tempura batter is chilled enough, otherwise, you won’t get that best crunch. This is essential for achieving that irresistible crunch that we all love.
- Another important technique to master is the careful slitting and pressing of the prawns. By using a knife and your fingertips, you can keep the prawns straight even after they are submerged in hot oil.
- It is crucial to maintain a consistent frying temperature throughout the cooking process. This will help in achieving evenly cooked and golden brown prawns. Always try to keep the temperature same while frying the prawns.
- And here’s a little secret from my experience – using rice flour in the tempura batter can truly elevate the crunchiness of the shrimp. I have found that my homemade tempura flour, which includes rice flour, gives me that restaurant-like crispiness that I crave.
What is the purpose of pressing down on the flesh?
To ensure your prawns stay perfectly straight when preparing tempura, it is crucial to employ two essential techniques: slitting and pressing the flesh. These methods are vital for achieving that desired straight shape, ensuring optimal frying results.
To begin, take the prawns and delicately slit them with a knife, creating shallow incisions. It is important to exercise caution here, as we don’t want to cut all the way through the prawns. This technique allows for better control over the stretching process, helping to maintain their straightness.
After slitting the prawns, the next step involves pressing them gently with your fingertips. By doing so, you are effectively working to lengthen the prawns and detach the muscle. This process is crucial for achieving the desired straight shape, as it will prevent any curling or bending during the battering and frying stages.
It is important to note that both these techniques, slitting and pressing, should be employed in combination to maximize their effectiveness. This meticulous approach guarantees that your prawns remain perfectly straight, resulting in a beautifully crispy and visually appealing tempura.
Remember, the ultimate goal is to create an exquisite dish, and attention to detail is key. So, be sure to incorporate these mandatory techniques when preparing your prawns for tempura, and you’ll be well on your way to culinary success.
How many times should the frying process be repeated?