Mutton chops fry recipe with step-by-step pictures – Mutton chops fry is a delicious Indian-style dry mutton starter. A juicy, tender, flavourful recipe of fried mutton(lamb or goat) ribs or chops. An easy-to-make starter cooked up in simple spices. Originally it is a preparation of Andhra cuisine, however, this recipe is most popular in Hyderabad. These fried mutton chops are either relished as an appetizer just with a sprinkle of lemon juice or serve as sides of Paratha or Biryani.
For making this recipe, raw mutton chops are marinated in flavourful spices, cooked up in a pressure cooker, and fry in ghee or clarified butter. Due to the pressure cooking method, the chops meat gets soft and juicy just like restaurants. Though frying is a good option, however, grilling or dry roasting is another way of making mutton chops starter.
I first ate these fried mutton chops in Rehams, a very popular restaurant at old airport road, Bangalore. The finest mutton starter I ever had before, so soft, juicy, and flavourful lamb chops fry. But due to its long-distance, started making these fried mutton chops at home. After many failures finally, I started making it right just as we had in their restaurant.
If you are a mutton lover and searching for a delicious dry mutton starter. Then make these mutton chops fry in your kitchen. Or you may try Karnataka style dry mutton ghee roast or Mutton Seekh Kabab recipe. I hope my step-by-step method will help you to make it the best.
What is mutton chops meat? Where to get it?
Mutton chops are the sliced cut pieces of chest or ribs of lamb or goat meat. Chops are easy to get in any local mutton shops, though on special request. As being a non-Karnataka resident even with very less knowledge of their Kannada language, I could manage to get it easily only by requesting them. Even, in Bangalore, chops pieces are also available in shopping malls or “fish & meat shops”. If staying out of Karnataka, then may try in local meat shops or order it online through the fresh fish and meat delivery apps.
Mutton chops fry recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Servings for: 3-4 people
Cuisine: South Indian
Author: Moumita Paul
Ingredients of mutton chops fry
- 500 gms chops pieces of mutton(lamb/goat)
- 1 & 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 2 & 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- 1tsp ghee
- 4 cubes butter
- salt(as required)
How to make mutton chops fry with step by step pictures
How to marinate mutton chops with spices
- Clean and wash mutton chops, drain them well.
- Take it in a mixing bowl with ginger-garlic paste, red chilli powder, cumin powder, black pepper powder, garam masala powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder, chaat masala, 1/2 tsp salt, vinegar, and lemon juice.
- Mix it well. Keep it for 30-45 mins marination.
How to cook mutton chops with masala
- Heat a pressure cooker on medium flame. Add 4 tsp of oil, get it hot, then put the marinated chops to the oil.
- After frying the chops for 2 mins, add 1 tsp of ghee to the cooker, mix it up well with the meat and fry it for 1 more min.
- Then add 1/2 cup of water to the cooker. Though here I have used that water which I mixed up with the masala, left in the bowl used in the marination. Give it a good stir.
- Let the gravy starts boiling. Once the gravy will start to boil, close the lid of the cooker and make a whistle on high to medium flame. Then turn off the heat.
- Remove the pressure cooker lid when its pressure releases automatically. Then check the mutton is perfectly cooked or not by pressing the meat with your fingertips.
- Then again start boiling the gravy on high flame to dry it up. Cook it till the gravy is completely soaked by the chops. In this period of time, stir the mutton pieces frequently to avoid sticking meat to the bottom of the pressure cooker. Once the gravy totally dries off(as shown in the picture), then turn off the heat.
How to fry mutton chops
- Heat a grill pan or tawa on medium flame. Add 4 small cubes of butter( 4-5 tsp of butter) to the pan or tawa. Then place all the chops in the pan.
- Fry it till one side is done, then turn the chops pieces and let the other side be done by frying.
- Each side will hardly take 2 mins to be done. Or when each side of the chops gets a little dark(as shown in the picture) that indicates frying is done. Remove all fried chops from the pan.
- Restaurant-style mutton chops fry is ready, garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and enjoy with a sprinkle of lemon juice.
- Instead of using lamb chops, you may use goat ribs for making this recipe for less fat content. That is good for health too.
- To make the meat soft and juicy, vinegar and lemon juice both are mandatory for this recipe.
- As this recipe is not too hot and spicy, so I used chilli powder and black pepper as I need. However, to make it spicy, you can use more black pepper or chilli powder.
- The pressure cooking method does not need long hours of marination. But to make it in the traditional way, marinate the chops overnight and make it in a pan. Even that tastes best, however, my recipe is the quickest version of mutton chops.
- Even except for frying, you may prepare these chops just like kabab. After dry up the chops gravy, use the charcoal smoking method for the first 10 mins(check this method in my Tandoori Chicken recipe), then grill or roast the mutton indirect flame by brushing with ghee.
- This recipe is a bit difficult to fully make in the oven. Because, after pressure cooking, the gravy needs to dry up till it is completely soaked by the mutton. However, lastly, instead of frying, chops can be grilled in the oven. For making it in the oven, first, preheat the oven for 15-20 mins at 180-degree temperature. Set the oven in its grill mode, then grease the mutton chops with butter or ghee and place them in the oven’s grill rack. Grill it for 2 & 1/2 minutes for each side. This method will totally take 5 mins time.