matar paneer recipe with step by step picture format. It is a North Indian vegetarian recipe which is popular among all paneer lovers whoever he/she is a veg or non-veg. Matar paneer is a perfect combination of Matar(green peas) and paneer(cottage cheese) in an onion, tomato, curd based gravy. A long ago people would wait for the winter season because of the availability of green peas to prepare the Matar Paneer. But nowadays frozen green peas are easily available everywhere so winter must not be the only option to get the green peas for making this super delicious Matar Paneer.
Though I ‘m completely non-vegetarian paneer is one of my favorite veg ingredients and that is the main reason to prepare the paneer dishes in my home. Here I have used my homemade fresh paneer and I will share the recipe later. That’s why Matar paneer, Paneer pasanda, kadai paneer, shahi paneer, and even paneer bhurji all are my favorite dishes. Especially the texture and the taste both attract me much to have Matar paneer in any occasion.
My version of Matar paneer recipe has very few simple changes although the key ingredients are intact. As I have used a special homemade garam masala in this recipe and didn’t add coriander leaves into it to make the garam masala flavor dominate over the gravy. And I’m pretty sure, the unique taste will definitely remind you of the taste of restaurant style Matar paneer recipe.
You may also like my easy chana masala, a pure vegetarian recipe.
So, friends lets have a look this easy and simple Matar paneer recipe, hope you will surely enjoy it. And trust me this Matar paneer recipe won’t disappoint you while it will be served to your family, friends or guests.
matar paneer recipe | how to make restaurant style matar panner at home
- 200 gms Paneer
- 250 gas green peas
- 3 medium onion(grated/ finely chopped)
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 big or 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 1/2 tbsp curd
- 2 green chilies
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp-3tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ghee or clarified butter
- 2 cups of water(1 cup=200 ml)
- Salt (as required)
Garam masala powder with
- 3 cloves,
- 3 green cardamoms
- a small piece of nutmeg
- 1/2 of a mace flower
- 4-5 peppercorns
Prep time:10 mins
cook time:25-30 mins
Served in time:35-40 mins
- First, cut the paneer bar into cubes and the size of the cubes must depend on your choice and if you are using the readymade paneer cubes that is also fine. Keep it aside in a bowl. So our two main ingredients of our Matar Paneer is ready(paneer and green peas as shown in the picture).
- Now take the small blender or grinder jar and grind tomato or tomatoes, garlic cloves, and green chili to make a smooth paste.
- Then grate the onions with the help of a greater or a food processor or else you can finely chop the onion.
- Place a pan on medium heat, put the oil into it and make it hot, then add cumin seeds and bay leaves and let it be crackle. Add the grated or finely chopped onion into the pan.
- When the onion turns into golden brown color, add the masala paste which has been prepared earlier for it. Saute the masalas with the onion for few minutes.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder into it and mix well. Next, add chili powder to the pan and stir it to make a nice mix. And keep stirring till the raw smell of masalas go off and the masalas leave the oil from its sides.
- It’s time to add the well-beaten curd to the pan and mix it well with the masalas. Stir it well till the water of the curd has been totally soaked up into the gravy and get a nice flavourful gravy. Add green peas to it and mix well
- Pour 2 cups of water into the gravy and add salt as per your taste. Cover the pan with a tight lid. After 2-3 minutes slow down the heat and let the green peas cooked into the gravy.
- Once the green peas are half cooked add the paneer cubes into the gravy and cover the pan with the lid. Now, wait till the green peas and the paneer are properly cooked into the gravy.
- Sprinkle the garam masala powder on the gravy and make a nice mix. Cover the pan to let the garam masala spread its magic over the whole Matar Paneer gravy and raise the heat from slow to medium. Lastly, add the ghee or clarified butter, mix it well and cover the pan. Turn off the heat.
- Now the consistency of your Matar paneer gravy totally depends on you. But if you want a thick gravy then you must increase the heat to get your desired consistency of the gravy.
- Finally, your Matar Paneer is ready to serve. Serve it with roti, chapati, nan, kulcha as per your choice.
- While you are making the Matar Paneer gravy, in the meantime boil the water in a vessel with some salt when the water starts boiling switch off the flame. Now add 1 tsp oil to the water and add the paneer cubes into the hot water. After a few minutes strain the water and pour the paneer straight from the strainer. This procedure will help you to make your paneer super soft in any Paneer recipe.
- Try to avoid coriander leaves in this Matar Paneer recipe or else the actual taste of this recipe might get affected.