dum aloo bengali recipe – This dum aloo bengali is actually Bengalis all time favourite aloor dum recipe. I’ve already posted my bengali aloor dum recipe earlier which was cooked with onion and garlic. But this is my tradional niramish aloo dum recipe, which is very common in our bengali kitchen. Especially, when we celebrate any puja or rituals at our home, we avoid making food with onion and garlic and then this niramish aloor dum is the best option to relish. So it is a no onion garlic dum aloo recipe.
As we Bengalis are a huge fan of aloo or potato and this bengali aloo dum recipe is our traditional recipe so we don’t have any no to any aloo recipe specially alur dom. And this niramish bengali aloo dum perfectly goes with luchi or bengali poori, paratha, chapati even with roti or phulka.
Winters have set in and baby potato or choto aloo is everywhere available in the market. We Bengalis, just wait for this particular season for its newly harvested baby potatoes or choto aloo and notun aloo for making bengali aloo dum. And that is why the main ingredient of my today’s dum aloo bengali or niramish aloo dum is choto aloo.
This no onion garlic dum aloo recipe or traditional niramish aloo dum takes a very less time to be prepared. Here I’ve used green peas to accompany our baby potatoes in this dum aloo bengali recipe. Actually, we love to prepare our alur dom with newly harvested green peas as rest of the days, frozen peas are our all-time savior.
This, my version of dum aloo bengali recipe is little tangy and spicy. As this niramish aloo dum contains, tomato and yogurt both, and little hing, ghee, and garam masala will enhance its flavor and taste, a sprinkle of chopped coriander spreads its aroma into the gravy and lastly addition of bhaja masala or dry roasted spices will take you to the heaven.
Please stay with me to know how easily and quickly I prepared this dum aloo bengali recipe in my kitchen. And please, don’t forget to let me know how this traditional niramish aloo dum worked at your home by leaving a comment in the comment section below.
Dum aloo bengali | Niramish aloo dum recipe |Bengali niramish aloo dum
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Served in: 25 mins
Served for: 4-5 people
Course: Breakfast/ Dinner
- 500 gms photo aloo or baby potatoes
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 medium sized tomato
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 green chillies
- 2 tbsp curd
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp hing
- garam masala(2cardamoms, 2 cloves and 1/2 inch cinnamon stick)
- 3 tbsp mustard oil
- water (as required)
- salt (as required)
- a handful of chopped coriander leaves
For making the bhaja masala or dry roasted spices
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 dry red chillies
Dry roast these three spices together and ground it to make a fine powder from it.
How to make dum aloo bengali with step by step pictures
How to boil the baby potatoes
- First wash the baby potatoes thoroughly under the running water.
- Then take a pressure cooker, add baby potatoes and 2 cups of water to it.
- Place the pressure cooker on the medium heat and wait for one whistle. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the lid of the pressure cooker when all the pressure release automatically. perfectly boiled potatoes in the pic.
- Let the boiled potatoes cool down and then peel its skin.
How to fry the potatoes
- Take a pan, place it on medium heat, let it be hot. Then add 2 tbsp mustard oil to it.
- When the oil gets heated up, the add aloo to it and give a stir to it.
- Now add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp salt to it and mix it with the potatoes.
- Fry the potatoes till it gets nice golden brown colour from both sides.
- Then remove all the fried potatoes from the pan.
How to make the gravy of this niramish aloo dum
- First, take a small blender jar or mixer jar, add tomato, ginger, green chillies to it.
- Then add 2 tbsp curd, cumin powder and coriander powder to it.
- Then add red chilli powder and whole garam masalas( as shown in the pic) to the blender jar.
- Now add 1 tbsp water and make a smooth paste of it. (as shown in the pic)
- Then take the same pan, place it on medium heat, add 1 tbsp mustard oil to it.
- Once the oil heated up, add bay leaves and cumin seeds to the pan.
- First, stir it and then add hing to the pan and stir it once again.
- Now add the smooth masala paste to the pan and stir it nicely.
- Then add 3/4 tsp sugar to the masalas just to balance its tanginess. And mix it well.
- Then add the green peas to it and stir it nicely with the masalas.
- After that, add 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder to it. Mix it well.
- When the raw smells of masalas go off, and masala leaves oil or oil starts coming out from its sides, then add 3/4 cup of water to it.
- Now raise the flame of your gas oven to the highest point, bring it to boil.
- When it will start boiling, then add the fried baby potatoes to it. Stir it well.
- Then you can add a little salt to it as per your requirement.
- Now, slow down the flame to the lowest point of your oven and cover the pan with a lid.
- After every one minute remove the lid and stir it well. After about 4-5 mins of cooking, add chopped coriander to it. Stir it well.
- Then raise the flame to the medium heat to get the desired consistency of its gravy.
- When you get the right consistency of this gravy, then turn off the flame.
- Lastly, add 1 tsp ghee to it and stir it well.
- Here I’ve used bhaja masala or roasted spices powder to sprinkle on the top of this niramish aloo dum. If you don’t want to sprinkle the roasted masala, you can skip it.
- Then serve this hot dum aloo bengali or niramish aloo dum with luchi or puri, roti or phulka.
- Here adding of little sugar is must, that will balance the tanginess of curd and tomato.
- If you wish you may blanch the green peas before cooking. But for this soft green peas don’t need to boil it separately.
- Here I explained the last minute cooking time 4-5 mins to get my desired consistency, though its gravy should be little thick. But as per your choice, it might take less than 4-5 mins.