chicken roll recipe | Kolkata street food bengali chicken roll recipe with step by step pictures. Chiken roll is a popular bengali street food where cooked chicken pieces are kept in a fried Indian paratha with lime juice and onion slices and wrap it up. It originally comes from Kolkata and people call it as Kolkata Kati roll too. It was first introduced in Kolkata by the famous Mughlai food joint Nizam’s.
Chicken roll is a famous evening snack among Bengalis and you may easily get it in kolkata from any street side fast food corner. People outside westbengal beleif kolkata’s chicken roll means chicken kati rolls or kati kabab rolls. But as kolkata is my hometown I can assure you bengal’s chicken roll is not always kathi roll. Kati means skewers, where the marinated meat has to put in a skewer and then put into the charcoal oven. And those cooked meat use to put in an fried Indian paratha to roll it up, this is the way how to make chicken Kathi roll recipe.
Even it’s not always a chicken tikka roll which is actually charcoal grilled kathi kabab rolls.In kolkata, most of the street roll vendors don’t have a charcoal oven to make a Kati roll. So they basically cook the marinated meat in a pan with different spices and put it in a deep fried layered Indian with sliced onion, a nice sprinkle of black salt and a perfect squeeze of lemon. You may call it as chicken kosha roll too.
Being a non vegetarian I’m a huge fan of Kolkata rolls, in our college days we often used to have the rolls from the street roll vendors and the taste was amazing. And those days the famous street food joints which were especially known for their egg, mutton and chicken rolls like Bedwin and Bawarchi didn’t add ketchup or any sauce inside the rolls and generally used to add green chili as per people’s request.
Today, I’m going to share Kolkata’s most famous bengali street food chicken roll recipe without egg though you may add double or single egg as per your choice. Here I have tried to reach you with that awesome taste which I had in my early twenties in Kolkata. Here, I’ll apply all the tricks which will make it scrumptious and easy to make at home. Stay with me till the end and hope, you will enjoy the recipe.
You may try my one more evening snack recipe,
You may like my Pav bhaji recipe too, please check it out.
Please let me know how this non veg roll works in your kitchen and leave a comment in the box below.
chicken roll recipe | kolkata street food bengali chicken roll recipe
Ingredients of chicken roll
- 250 gms boneless Chicken
- 3/4 cup sliced onion
- 1 1/4 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp finely chopped green chilies or green chili paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 lemon (one for making chicken and the other one is for squeezing in the roll)
- 1tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp roasted masala powder
- 1 1/2 tsp black salt
- salt (as required)
- water (as required)
- refined oil (for frying the parathas)
- whole cumin seeds
- coriander seeds
- red chilies
Take a half teaspoon of whole cumin and coriander seeds with 1-2 red chilies. Dry roast the spices and then grind it to make a smooth powdered form.
For garam masala powder
- green cardamom
- whole peppercorn
Grind it to make smooth garam masala powder and use 1 tsp garam masala for this recipe.
Making of the dough for paratha
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp refined oil
- luck warm water(as required)
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Served in: 55 mins
Course: Evening snacks / street food
Served for: 5 people
Author: Moumita Paul
How to make chicken roll recipe with step by step pictures
How to prepare the chicken
- Wash the chicken with luck warm water to remove all the dirt came with it. squeeze the excess water from the chicken and keep it on the chopping board.
- Cut the boneless chicken into pieces as shown in the pictures.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with 1/2 tsp salt and juice of a half lemon for about 2 hours.
- After the chicken gets marinated, put a pan on medium heat, add 2 tbsp oil to it, add 1/2 cup sliced onion, fry it until gets nice golden brown color.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste to it, add green chili paste or finely chopped green chilies, then add the marinated chicken to it and mix it well. sauté the chicken for 30 secs.
- Next, add turmeric powder and red chili powder to it. mix the spices nicely with the chicken and cover the pan with a lid.
- Stir the chicken frequently as we didn’t add water till now to it.
- After a few mins when masala will start to release oil from its side and all the raw smells of chicken and spices go off then add 1/4 cup of water to it. Cover it cook for some time on a low heat.
- When the water almost gets soaked by the chicken add roasted powdered masalas and garam masalas to it. Stir it well.
- Add salt(as required) and juice of half lemon, stir it well and turn off the heat. keep the cooked chicken in the bowl aside.
How to make chicken roll
- First, sieve the all purpose flour and keep it in a mixing bowl.
- Then add salt, sugar(sugar has an important role to make it crisp) and mix it well. Add oil in it and mix it well with your fingertips until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Now add hot(mild) water as required and start kneading to make a soft and smooth dough. Cover the dough and keep it aside to rest for the 45mins-1 hour.
- When the dough will be ready, divide it into 5 equal portions.
- Take 3tbsp all-purpose flour in a small bowl and add 2 tbsp oil to it mix it nicely to make a smooth creamy mix.
- Now dust some flour on your kitchen board/table, make each portion like a rope and then roll it with a rolling pin as shown in the pic.
- Then add 1 tbsp flour-oil mix on it and spread it evenly all over the upper surface with the brush.
- Now start to roll it like rolling a paper, as shown in the pic.
- And then put your palm on the top of this rolled doughs, and gently press it to make the dough flat. Keep it aside.
- Once all the doughs are ready, take your rolling pin and all-purpose flour to roll the dough on the rolling board or kitchen table. now convert the dough into a flat little thick and layered Indian bread or paratha. remove all the excess flour from the layered paratha.
- Place a tawa/skillet on a slow heat and make it slightly hot from the top. Now place the paratha on the tawa after 30 secs turn it over and keep it again for 30 secs. And keep it in a plate aside.
- When all the parathas will be done in this way, add the generous amount of refined oil( about 2 tbsp for each paratha) to the tawa for frying the parathas. And turn it into a nice golden colored crisp layered parathas.
- Once all the parathas are completely done, arrange the chicken pieces on the parathas with sliced onion, chopped green chilies (as per choice), a nice sprinkle of black salt and a perfect squeeze of lemon juice.
- Now, roll it up with a portion of parchment paper or butter paper to prevent the stuffings fall off from the bottom.
- Your chicken roll is ready, without wasting a moment take a bite and enjoy the taste.
- Here I have used sugar in the dough to make the bread or paratha crispy.
- I first cooked the parathas on the tawa/skillet without oil and later use the oil to fry it. Just because more oil is required at the time of frying the layered paratha. Or else the crisp layer won’t be visible. So the first 30-30 secs cooking parathas without oil is needed as it will help us to use less oil while frying it later.
- Don’t forget to remove the excess flour from the parathas before putting it on the tawa/skillet. Or else paratha will quickly get dry and get a brown color from its surface.