Chicken kosha recipe or Bengali kosha murgir mangsho recipe with step-by-step pictures. Chicken kosha is a bengali style spicy chicken curry made with chicken slow cooked in a few simple spices. This chicken kosha recipe is also known as kosha murgir mangsho in Bengali. As in bengali language, kosha means roast/bhuna and murgir mangsho denotes chicken meat. Mainly aloo(potatoes) are not added to chicken kosha(especially made in bengali biye barir menu or in Bengali restaurant style recipe). Though I cook it with aloo.
About Chicken kosha recipe
Chicken kosha is one of the most delectable chicken preparation of our Bengali cuisine. This is common chicken preparation in the bengali marriage ceremony (biye bari) to the birthday celebration.
For making chicken kosha, chicken is first well marinated with curd or lemon juice. Then cooked in a gravy consisting of fried onion, tomato, and green chillies paste. Followed by ginger-garlic paste, red chili powder, cumin, coriander, and turmeric powder. Seasoning with salt & sugar.
Story Behind Murgir mangsho in Bengali Kitchen
In the olden days especially before the partition of Bengal (into West Bengal & Bangladesh), chicken(murgir mangsho) was not allowed in Bengali kitchens. Not even chicken eggs or murgir dim. So there was no chance of making any murgir mangsho recipe at home neither kosha nor any other bengali chicken curry. Then mangsho means only mutton or khasir mangsho would prepare at bengali households.
But after the partition, murgir mangsho slowly got entry to Bengali kitchen with the help of modern Bengali society. Since then, murgir mangsho is also one more option to bengalis for making kosha or light curry. Today this bengali chicken kosha has a huge fan base across the world.
This chicken curry is common preparation for most Bengali households. As chicken is easy to digest and good for health. And if I’m not wrong, seeing my kid and the kids around me, I guess kids love to eat chicken more than mutton. Though My husband and I choose to eat mutton, but I’ve to prepare this chicken kasha often for my kid. For him which is in high demand at my home.
Importance of garam masala in this kosha chicken curry recipe
In any Bengali kosha recipe whether with chicken or mutton, garam masala is a must used ingredient. And powdered garam masala is easy to use more than whole garam masalas. Though whole garam masala has intense long lasting smell than powdered garam masala. So today, I used whole garam masala in my way which made this bengali chicken curry more delicious and flavourful.
My unique tricks
- My trick – I first use bay leaves, green cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and black peppercorn (which means whole garam masalas) for tempering in oil.
- Then fry the sliced onion in the same oil by adding a little sugar (to get the onion easily caramelized).
- Lastly, fry chopped tomato in the same oil until the ingredients get nice golden brown color.
- And later blend it with green chilies and little water to get a smooth paste of it.
- And later I used this masala paste for making the gravy of this chicken curry.
This above-mentioned masala paste is the base of my chicken kasha recipe. So here, all the little-fried garam masalas will spread their flavor all over this chicken curry and make you feel that amazing blast in your mouth with every bite. Caramelized onion and sauteed tomato will give it a rich color and the pungency of green chili will enhance its taste more.
Many more tricks I have applied to in this recipe, so to know all the tricks please stay with me till the end.
Even you may check my chicken cutlet recipe (Bengali fowl cutlet recipe). You can try my mutton kasha recipe too.
Try this chicken kosha recipe at home and tell me how this bengali style kosha mangsho (with chicken) was with your comment.
Chicken kosha recipe | Bengali Kosha murgir mangsho recipe
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 1 hr
Served in: 1hr 20 mins
Course: Main course
Served: 5-6 people
Author: Moumita Paul
Ingredients of chicken kosha
- 1 kg Chicken ( curry cut pieces)
- 4 medium Potatoes
- 5 medium Onion
- 1 Tomato(Medium)
- 3½ tsp Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1½ tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 4-5 Green Chilies
- 1½ tbsp Curd (Tok doi)
- 1 Lemon
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3 Green Cardamom
- 1½ inch Cinnamon Stick
- 4-5 Cloves
- 10-12 Peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Salt (as required)
- 5-6 tbsp Mustard Oil
How to make chicken kosha recipe
Marinating the chicken
- Wash the chicken pieces with lukewarm water. Drain the water and keep it in a bowl.
- Marinate the chicken with lemon juice, 1 tsp turmeric powder, and 1 tsp chili powder.
- Mix it well and cover the bowl.
- Keep the chicken in the refrigerator for 45 mins to 1 hr for marination. Don’t add salt at this stage.
Making chicken kosha gravy
- Heat the pan, and add 3-4 tbsp mustard oil, heat the oil to release smoke.
- Fry the potatoes(cut into halves and smear with salt & turmeric) until gets golden. Remove from the pan.
- Then add the whole garam masalas(1 bay leaf, 3 green cardamoms, 1½ inch cinnamon stick, 4-5 cloves, 10-12 peppercorns) to the oil. Slight stir fry.
- Then add the sliced onion to the pan and stir it well. After a few minutes add 1/2 tsp sugar to it.
- Now add chopped tomato and mix it well. Fry it till it gets the nice golden brown color as shown in the pic.
- Remove it from the pan and keep it aside to completely cool down.
- Once it completely cools down, take a blender jar, add the fried golden brown onion- tomato-whole garam masalas, add green chilies to it, and add 2-3 tbsp water for making a smooth paste. As shown in the pic.
- Now again take the same pan and make it hot, add 2-3 tbsp mustard oil to it and let it be hot.
- Add 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp turmeric powder and 1tsp chili powder to the oil. Stir it well for few seconds.
- Then add the onion-tomato-whole garam masala paste to oil and stir it nicely.
- Add ginger-garlic paste to it and mix it well. Then add cumin powder and coriander powder to it. Mix it nicely.
- Fry until the smell of raw spices go off and start to release oil from its side. When It will get a nice brown color as shown in the pic, add the well-beaten curd to it.
- Mix it well and after few minutes add the marinated chicken to it and stir it nicely that chicken gets a nice coat of masalas.
- After that, add the fried potatoes to it and mix it well with the chicken and masalas and cover it with a tight lid.
- Stir it frequently by removing the lid or else the chicken will get burn.
- When the chicken gets soft and starts to release oil from its side then add the salt(as required) to it. And mix it well.
- After a few minutes, chicken will start to release water, then stir it well till it gets a thick gravy.
- Then add 1 cup of lukewarm water to the chicken and mix it well. Cover with the lid again. Let it bring to boil.
- When the potatoes are properly cooked and all the spices/masalas totally infused in the chicken and potatoes. Then turn off the heat.
- Chicken kosha is ready, serve this chicken curry with Bengali fried rice, Bengali basanti pulao, luchi(bengali poori).
- Don’t add salt at the beginning of cooking chicken. During kosha masalas and chicken both will release more water if added salt and won’t get the good taste.
- Don’t add water while cooking chicken in masalas, it will make your chicken kasha totally bland in taste.
- You can add more or less chili as per your requirement.