Prawn ghee roast recipe aka Mangalore style prawn ghee roast recipe with step by step pictures. Prawn ghee roast means a recipe about prawns roasted in ghee with flavourful spices. It is an authentic preparation from Mangalore cuisine.
Ghee roast is a specialty of Kundapur, few km away from Mangalore. Their chicken ghee roast, mutton ghee roast, prawn’s ghee roast are just awesome in taste. Generally, It’s served as the main course in Karnataka but you can use it as a side dish or starter too. This Mangalore style prawn ghee roast goes well with rice and sambar or rice and rasam too, but the choice is yours. Not only Karnataka, but other South Indian region like Tamilnadu and Kerala also have their own version of prawn ghee roast recipe as per my knowledge.
Though I had this recipe of prawns, many times in Bangalore, last year when we went to Mangalore and taste this authentic Mangalore prawn ghee roast recipe there, was the best which didn’t have before. So after coming back from Mangalore, I tried this ghee roast recipe many times with tomato, with tamarind, and with different ingredients by watching different recipes. But didn’t get that dryness what I was searching for, in my prawn’s ghee roast recipe. And just a month back finally I made it right by using my own trick and got the excellence certificate from my husband as who is a true critic of my every recipe.
Generally, I’ve seen people are using curd in marination and secondly sometimes using tomatoes and commonly using tamarind pulp in this Mangalore style prawn ghee roast recipe. But I made some simple changes, didn’t use curd during marination, instead used it later and from the beginning to the end, I’ve used lemon juice instead of tamarind pulp and tomatoes. And I believe, an addition of 2-3 pinches of hing or asafoetida in the oil at the beginning made it scrumptious. But moreover, the dry roasted spices(described below) are the most important ingredient to prepare this ghee roast recipe.
You must try this recipe at home and please let me know how it works at your home by leaving a comment in the comment section below.
Prawn ghee roast recipe | Mangalore style Prawn ghee roast recipe
Ingredients of prawn ghee roast
For marinating the prawns:
- 300 gms Prawns
- 1 medium lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
For making the dry roasted masalas :
- 3-4 whole Kashmiri chili
- 3-4 whole red chili
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds or methi
- 8-10 whole black peppercorns
Dry roast all the ingredients and grind it to make a fine powder.
For making the gravy:
- 2 medium onion(finely chopped)
- 2-3 pinch of Hing or asafoetida
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp curd
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Dry roasted masala powder
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 4 tbsp ghee or clarified butter
- salt (as required)
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15-20 mins
Served in: 30-35 mins
Served for: 3 people
Author: Moumita Paul
How to make prawn ghee roast recipe with step by step pictures
- Remove prawns head and shell only keep its tail portion intact and devein it. Then thoroughly clean the prawns with water. If you get store brought prawn then just devein it and wash it thoroughly.
- Now marinate the prawns with the juice of a medium-sized lemon, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, and 1/2 tsp chili powder. Don’t add salt while marinating the prawn.
- Marinate the prawns for 15 mins, keep it aside for later use.
- In the meantime, dry roast the above-mentioned spices and grind it to make a fine powder.
- Then cut the onions and finely chopped it and prepare the ginger-garlic paste.
- Next, take a pan and place it on medium heat and let it be hot.
- Add 2 tbsp ghee to it and make it hot.
- Then add 2-3 pinch of Hing and onion to it. Fry it until it gets light golden brown color.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste and saute it for 10-15secs.
- Then add well-beaten curd to it and mix it with all the spices.
- It’s time to add the dry roasted masala powder to the pan. Mix it well.
- Saute it till the raw smell of masalas goes off.
- Add 1 tbsp lemon juice to it. Mix it well.
- Now the dry gravy is ready for making this ghee roast recipe. Turn off the heat. Keep it in a bowl.
- Take the same pan, place it on medium heat and let it becomes hot.
- Add 2 tbsp ghee or clarified butter to it and let the ghee melts down in the pan.
- Then add all the marinated prawns with its whole marination in the pan and saute it.
- After 3-4 mins add the dry gravy which was kept aside. Mix it nicely that prawn should get a nice coat of masalas.
- Now add salt(as required) and 10-12curry leaves in it. Mix it nicely.
- Cover the pan with a tight lid and slow down the flame. Let it cook for 3-4 mins again.
- After 3-4 mins remove the lid, make a nice stir. And after 1 min turns off the heat. And serve this dry prawn’s ghee roast as a starter.
- You can even serve this ghee roast with rice or dosa.
- Prepare the gravy separately, otherwise, the raw smell of spices make it spoil.
- Don’t add salt at the time of marination, that will force to release the water from prawns and after putting in the pan, the prawn will lose its moisture very quickly.