Bengali prawn cutlet or bengali chingri cutlet recipe with step by step picture format – It’s a starter where marinated prawns or minced prawns well coated in breadcrumbs and deep-fried. Don’t you think, why do I call it bengali chingri cutlet? chingri means prawn and mach indicate fish in bengali, though worldwide, prawn is not considered as a fish, we Bengalis include it as a fish. Bengalis always have a high craving towards fried starters i.e, prawn cutlet, chicken cutlet, mutton cutlet, even banana blossom cutlets, etc. These finger-licking starters are always able to increase your hunger. Today I’m going to boost your hunger up by sharing my prawn’s cutlet or chingrir cutlet recipe.
Generally, I’ve seen this cutlet is prepared either with the mince of prawns or direct with the whole flesh of prawns but my I’ve made a twist in this cutlet recipe. I’ve used both minced prawn and a whole prawn flesh together in prawn cutlets.
Actually, I was searching for the jumbo prawns for making these prawn cutlets, but jumbo prawns were nowhere available so I’ve to change my mind and decided to prepare the recipe with medium size white prawns. This is little similar to Kolkata’s famous Mitra cafe style prawn cutlet recipe.
Here is my clue or trick how I prepared jumbo prawns cutlet without jumbo prawns, first, devein and shelled the prawns by removing its head but keep the tail portion intact. Half of these prawns will be used to make mince and the rest of it will be slit along the middle(where the vein is passing through) to make the prawn fillet. Marinate the minced raw prawns and prawns fillet together with lemon juice, onion-ginger-garlic-green chilli paste, coriander-mint leaves, chilli powder, salt and pepper for an hour. Shape it like a cutlet, dip it in well-beaten eggs and rolled it in breadcrumbs and relish this prawn’s starter after deep frying with mustard sauce or tomato ketchup.
It was the sum up of my #prawn cutlet recipe, to know all the tricks I’ve applied in my Chingri macher cutlet, please stay with me until the end. It’s a recipe of prawn cutlets with step by step pictures, so don’t miss the steps.
Please let me know how these prawn cutlets worked in your kitchen by leaving a comment in the comment section below.
Prawn cutlet recipe | How to make bengali prawn cutlet | chingri macher cutlet
For marinating the prawns
- 300 gms prawns (medium white prawns)
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 onion
- 1/4 inch ginger
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 3 green chilies
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- a handful of coriander-mint leaves
- 1 tsp salt
For coating the prawn cutlets
- 1 1/2 cup breadcrumb
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Served in: 35 mins
Author: Moumita Paul
How to make bengali style prawn cutlet or chingri cutlet recipe
- First, remove prawns head and shell only keep its tail portion intact and devein it. Then thoroughly clean the raw prawns with water. Though you can easily get store brought cleaned prawns. Then you have to only devein it and wash it thoroughly with the clean water.
- Take, half of the prawns, slit it along the middle(where the vein is passing through) to make the prawns fillet. Flatten the fillets by pressing it from the top with a knife(as shown in the pic) or with the help of any heavy object like rolling pin or pestle.
- Now, take the rest of the raw prawns, cut it into pieces and put it in a blender jar.
- Then add 1 small to medium onion, 1/4 inch ginger, 4 garlic cloves, 3 green chillies and a handful of coriander-mint eaves in the same blender jar. Blend it nicely to get a smooth paste with prawns with spices.
- Take a mixing bowl, add the smooth paste of raw prawns, lemon juice, salt, chilli powder and pepper to it. Mix it together.
- Now, add the prawns’ fillet to the mix and mix it well with the raw prawns’ paste and spices. Marinate it for an hour in the refrigerator.
- After 1 hour, take the marination out of the refrigerator, place the prawn fillet in the chopping board. First, put some of the raw prawns paste on its top, turn the fillet over, place the prawns paste on the other side as well.
- Then place it in the breadcrumbs as shown in the pics, and shape it like a cutlet by rolling its both sides in the breadcrumb.
- Now, keep all the cutlet shaped prawns in the refrigerator for 30 mins.
- Take the breadcrumbs in a flat bowl, add salt and pepper to it. Then take 2-3 eggs in a bowl and beat it well with salt.
- Then take out all the prawn cutlets from the refrigerator, first, dip it in the beaten eggs and then place it in the breadcrumbs for rolling it out from both sides for getting the single coat of breadcrumbs.
- Then once again, put the breadcrumb coated raw cutlets to the beaten eggs and then to the breadcrumb bowl. And again nicely coat it with the breadcrumbs.
- Put the breadcrumb coated cutlets on the chopping board, and shape it properly like a cutlet with the help of a knife, as shown in the pics.
- Then place the raw cutlets again in the refrigerator for 30 mins.
- After 30 mins, take out the prawn cutlets from the refrigerator.
- Then take a deep fry pan, place it on the medium flame. Add the generous amount of refined oil for deep frying the prawn cutlets.
- Let the oil gets hot(not the smoky hot). Then slow down the flame.
- Add the raw prawn cutlets to the pan fry it gets golden brown in colour from both sides. Increase the flame to medium heat before removing this cutlet from the pan. Remove it from the pan to the paper towel for soaking the excess oil.
- Finally, serve the hot prawn’s cutlet or chingri macher cutlet with the Bengali mustard sauce or kasundi or tomato ketchup and salads.
- Always maintain the slow flame while frying the cutlets. Otherwise, the prawns won’t be cooked properly.
- My mom says while frying food in low flame, the fries soak more oil, so when removing the fries from the oil we should increase the flame. And that will release the extra oil to the pan from the fries. That really works for me so you may apply this trick.
- Even you can put the prawn cutlets twice in the deep freezer for 15 mins in each time instead of keeping it in the refrigerator for 30 mins each time. The result will be the same.