Shrimp ball recipe or Fried prawn balls recipe with step by step pictures. Prawn balls or shrimp ball, an interesting recipe of deep-fried starter, where mince prawns, quickly marinated with chopped ginger-garlic-green chilies-spring onion and parsley, a combination of fish sauce and dark soy sauce, a sprinkle of salt and pepper turned it to be juicy and flavorsome from inside. And a lite coat of breadcrumbs provides the crispiness from outside, after deep frying.
I recently had this prawn balls or shrimp ball in a Bangalore based Chinese restaurant, when noticed this recipe on their menu card. I was a little curious to know how it would be? Its single bite made me realize, each ingredient perfectly compliment each other. That day itself, I made up my mind to prepare it at home in my own way.
Finally, last weekend when I went to the fish shop, the idea of making this recipe just jumped into my mind and immediately bought some prawns from there. And the next day evening I start making this recipe with all the ingredients (which I feel, was added to this recipe in the restaurant). Though initially, I was a bit nervous, when after taking the first bite, my husband assured me that it was just the same as that, I decided to post it.
If you are a true prawn lover and love the Chinese flavour, must try this fried prawn balls as a starter at home. Even this quick starter is also perfect for any house party, serve it with sweet chilli sauce. I will also describe how to easily prepare this sweet chilli sauce at home.
You may also try some of my prawn starters
shrimp ball recipe
Prep time: 20-25 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Course: starter / appetizer
No of. balls: 15
Ingredients of prawn balls
- 500 gms prawns(22-25 prawns)
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp ginger(finely chopped)
- 3 green chillies(chopped)
- 1 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soya sauce
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped parsley
- a handful of spring onion(chopped)
- 1 tsp pepper
- salt( as per taste)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs(panko or regular)
- oil for deep frying
For making the homemade sweet chilli sauce
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 1/2 tbsp chilli sauce
How to make fried prawn balls or shrimp ball recipe step by step with pictures
- First, remove the head, peeled and deveined the prawns or shrimp. Wash it properly.
- Then place the prawns or shrimps on a chopping board, chop it to turn it into mince. Or even you may put it into the blender, blend it till it get minced not paste.
- After that, keep the minced prawns in a mixing bowl, add finely chopped ginger to it.
- Next, add chopped garlic and chopped green chillies to the bowl.
- Then add 1 tbsp chopped parsley to it, even you may add coriander or cilantro instead of parsley too.
- Now add salt(as per taste), though I added 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper to it.
- Then add 1 1/2 tsp fish sauce and 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce to the bowl.
- Next, add chopped spring onion to the bowl, mix it well together.
- Lastly, add 2 tbsp of corn flour and mix it nicely.
- Now, grease your palm with oil, and start making the balls from the mixture. As the mixture is a little sticky.
- After making the raw prawn balls, keep it in the freezer for 10 mins to hold that perfect round shape.
- After 10 mins, take it out of the freezer, and roll it down in regular breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs(if available).
- Once all the balls are nicely coated in breadcrumbs, keep it in the freezer for 10 more mins.
- Take a deep fry pan, place it on medium flame, add oil for deep frying, let the oil gets hot.
- When the oil is hot, slow down the flame to its minimum. Add the balls to the pan.
- After a few mins, turn it down, when it gets a lite golden colour from one side. And slow cook for 5 mins or till it gets a nice golden colour from both sides.
- Then rise up the flame to the high, and fry it for 3-4 mins. And stir it continuously at this stage.
- When the balls get nice golden brown colour, remove it from the pan to the paper towel, to soak the excess oil.
- For making the sweet chilli sauce, take a bowl, add 4 tbsp of tomato ketchup with 1 1/2 tbsp of chilli sauce. Mix it together. Sweet chilli sauce is ready.
- Then, serve this hot prawn balls with sweet chilli sauce or any sauce of your choice.
Try this Chinese prawn starter at home and let me know your valuable feedback by writing it down in the comment section below.
- Here I’ve used parsley for making these shrimp balls, you may use coriander or cilantro instead of parsley.
- I’ve used panko breadcrumbs in this recipe, as this breadcrumb will help to maintain its lite golden colour the same as the restaurant one. But you may easily use regular breadcrumbs, it will make these fried shrimp balls just a little dark golden brown in colour.
- Though it took first 5 mins to slow cook and last 3-4 mins on high temperature for me to get the exact texture like the restaurant. It might differ, it may take less or more time as the low and high temperature are not the same for all oven.