Momo chutney recipe or Momo sauce recipe or red chutney for momos with step-by-step pictures. Momo chutney is a mouth-watering spicy red chutney that must serve with momos as the dipping sauce of these dumplings. This red-colored tomato chili garlic dip is common in every street-side momos stall. Even you must have noticed, that they serve the same spicy dip for both of their veg and nonveg momos.
Actually, momo chutney means momo’s dipping sauce means a not too thick or too watery spicy red-colored tomato chili garlic chutney complementing each other. Even these steamed dumplings must not taste wow without this red chili dip. As even regular tomato ketchup will also spoil the taste of momos if you replace it with that spicy sauce. Don’t worry you don’t need to compromise your taste. For that, just follow my simple and easy step-by-step momo chutney recipe.
As Tibet or Nepal is considered to be the birthplace of momos so its chutney or sauce must be their own creation I guess. That’s why I never use soya sauce or any other Chinese sauces for making this chutney. Even this chutney has some similarities with Chinese schezwan sauce, mostly for having the same spiciness.
Momos chutney is basically prepared with very simple ingredients like tomato, red chili, garlic cloves, and a little ginger. As those ingredients are easily available at every home, so it is not hard to make by following my recipe. Just spend your few minutes to make it ready, and then enjoy it with every momo recipe.
Must try this momo chutney or momo sauce at home and let me know your valuable feedback about this recipe in the comment section below.
Momo chutney recipe | Momo sauce recipe | Red chutney for momos
- 2 cups(≈ 475 ml) of Water
- 152 g(2 medium-size) Tomatoes
- 10 Dry Red Chilies
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- a small piece of Ginger
- 8 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp Salt(as per taste)
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil/Refined oil
- 1/2 cup( ≈ 120 ml) of hot water
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Served in: 25 mins
Served for: 8 people
Course: Chutney / Sauce
Author: Moumita Paul
How to make momos chutney with step by step pictures
- Wash two tomatoes(weighs about 152g) and 10 dry red chilies, and make some slits on the tomatoes. Then put it in a vessel with 2 cups of water(about 475 ml) and boil it.
- While the water starts boiling then add 1 tbsp of vinegar to it. Vinegar will remove the raw smell of tomatoes and retain the red color of this momo dip.
- After about 10 mins boil in water when the tomato skins are starting to remove then turn off the heat.
- Strain it immediately from the water and make it completely cool down. Once it cools down remove the tomato skin and chopped it down.
- Take a blender jar, add the chopped tomatoes, red chilies, 8 garlic cloves, a small piece of ginger, and 1/2 tsp of salt in it. Blend it nicely to get a smooth puree out of it.
- Then place a pan on a slow to medium flame, add 1 tbsp oil to the pan, and heat it up. Then add the puree to the pan.
- Let the sauce boil and stir it frequently to prevent it from burning. Cook this sauce until the water is almost dry off and the sauce reaches a thick consistency(as shown in the pic).
- Then add about 1/2 cup(about 120ml) of hot water to it and stir it well. Boil it again till the sauce gets a little thickness(not at running consistency) then turn off the flame as momo chutney is ready. Serve this homemade spicy red chutney with any variety of momos.
- When finally the sauce is ready then you may add a little salt if required.
- Actually, I first sautéed the puree in little oil and then dry it up to remove the raw smell of spices and tomatoes. And when the raw smell goes off then boil the sauce by adding water to get the exact street style momos corner-like taste.
- Don’t make the sauce too thick then you can not enjoy it as dipping.