Mango sandesh recipe – Mango sandesh is a mango-flavored popular bengali sweet. This mango sandesh aka aam sondesh recipe belongs to the authentic bengali sondesh family. It is basically a perfect blend of chhana and mango puree with sugar. Chhana is a Bengali term for chenna(in hindi) or ricotta cheese(in English). However, this mango sandesh is prepared with chhana/chenna(not paneer), sugar, khoya kheer, mango puree. I used my homemade mango jelly for its stuffing, like Kolkata’s famous Jolbhora sondesh misti.
It can be easily made at home with a little patience. As time takes to produce the base of this sandesh and making of its mango jelly stuffing. I shaped it by hand without using a mould. I shaped this sandesh like real mango and garnished it with peeled-out pistachios to make its leaves and stems.
Sandesh has different varieties, according to its shapes and unique flavors. Some fruit-flavored bengali Sandesh recipes are mango sondesh, jackfruit sondesh, strawberry sondesh, custard apple sondesh, etc and these desserts also have a huge admirer. Though for making these sondesh, synthetic fruit flavor and color are used in the sweet shop but here I’ve used all homemade ingredients to make it pure and healthy.
This mango sandesh must be a successful experiment of our talented bengali confectioners. And they have shown how to present a traditional recipe with a wonderful twist. The idea of making this special sandesh might have come to their mind, after seeing Bengalis love over sondesh and mango.
Making mango sandesh or aam sandesh is quite similar to our bengali jalbhara sandesh recipe. Only the difference is, in our jalbhara sandesh, a liquid date palm jaggery is used as its filling, and here I’ve used mango jelly instead of that. Though I gave it the shape of real mango without using any mould, you may use any mould or just give a shape of your choice.
You may try other bengali sweet or dessert recipes from my website
- Sandesh recipe
- chandrapuli sandesh recipe
- Chocolate sandesh
- Chaler payesh or rice kheer
- Nolen gurer payesh
- Malpua recipe
Even you may also check the following recipes for making any bengali chanar misti recipe
Try this easy mango-flavored bengali sandesh at home and please let me know your valuable feedback by writing it down in the comment section below.
Rakshabandhan is coming soon, so you may serve this mango sweet on that auspicious day too. Happy Rakshabandhan to all of my readers in advance.
Mango sandesh recipe | How to make bengali mango sandesh
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Served in: 40 mins (2 hrs in the refrigerator before serving)
Course: Dessert / Sweet
Cuisine: Bengali / Indian
Servings: 6 pieces
Ingredients of mango sandesh
(1 cup =250 ml)
For making this sandesh
- 3/4 cup chhana/ chenna
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup grated khoya
- 2 tbsp homemade mango puree
- 3 tsp homemade mango jam for filling
- 8-10 pistachio for garnishing
For making chenna for this recipe
- 1 lit milk(full-fat milk)
- 1 medium-sized lemon (or 1 tbsp lemon juice+1 tbsp water)
- 2 cups of water(to remove the smell of lemon)
For making homemade mango puree and mango jelly
- 2 ripe mangoes(around 350 gms)
- 4-5 tbsp of sugar(add more or less as per the sweetness of mangoes)
How to make bengali mango sandesh with step-by-step pictures
Making of chenna or chhana
- First, place a pan with 1 liter of full-fat milk on medium heat, bring it to boil.
- Cut and squeeze a medium-size lemon to bring its juice out or take 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Then mix the juice with 1 tbsp of water.
- When the milk froth will start rising, then slow down the heat and add the water mixed lemon juice to the milk and stir it gently.
- Turn off the heat, when milk will start curdling and continuously stir it. When milk will start to curdle, you can see the whey will start separating from the milk.
- When the chenna will be totally separated from the whey and the light greenish whey or greenish water(as shown in the pic) will be Clearly visible.
- Then immediately pour the curdled milk into a colander lined with the cotton cloth or cheesecloth or muslin cloth.
- Then gently stir the Chenna by adding 2 cups of water to stop its cooking process which will continuously go on if it’s hot enough.
- In this way, when the chenna reduces its heat, then take all the edges together(all the edges of cotton cloth) and make a pouch with it(as shown in my chenna recipe)
- Then squeeze the mouth of this pouch(don’t squeeze or press the other parts of this pouch) to remove the greenish whey out of the chenna(as shown in the pic).
- When the continuous flow of whey will get stopped and it will start dripping and only drops of whey will come out of the chenna, then stop squeezing.
- Remove all the edges of the cotton cloth and twist its edges from both sides and then tightly make a knot with the twisted edges. (as shown in my chenna recipe).
- Now make a handle with the end portion of the edges(as shown in my chenna recipe) and hang the pouch with its handle in a hook or mouth of the kitchen tap(it shouldn’t keep in touch of water).
- Lastly, it’s waiting time, hang it for 30 mins. After 30 mins remove the cotton cloth to take out the soft perfect chenna for making this bengali mango sweet.
Making homemade mango puree and jelly
- Take 2 ripe mangoes, scoop out their flesh and blend it nicely to get a smooth pulp out of them.
- Then take a pan, put it on low heat and put the mango pulp into the pan and start stirring. Then add 4-5 tbsp of sugar, even you may add more or less sugar as per the sweetness of the mangoes. Stir it nicely.
- When the sugar completely melts down, the mango pulp will look little syrupy. As shown in the pic.
- Stir it continuously for 4-5 mins to get the appropriate consistency of the mango puree.
- After 5 mins separate 2 tbsp of puree from the pan and keep the remaining portion in the pan.
- Now again slow cook the remaining portion of puree for 2 more mins to get the homemade mango jelly out of it.
Making mango sandesh
- First, place the chenna on a plate and start kneading it with your palm heel. As shown in the pic.
- Keep kneading the chenna for 10 mins to make it soft and smooth which is required for this bengali sweet with the palm heel.
- At first, divide the kneaded chenna into two equal parts. Now take a pan, with half of the kneaded chenna with 1/4 cup of sugar(granulated not the powdered sugar). And place it on low heat.
- Then start stirring, here continuous stirring is most important, Stir this chenna with sugar on low flame. Within these 3 mins, first, the sugar will be a meltdown mix it with chenna, and look a little syrupy.
- Don’t be afraid of, after the continuous stirring of 3 mins, that syrupy state will go down. As shown in the pic.
- After the first 3 mins, add the rest of the chenna to the pan. Mix it thoroughly with the spatula. And stir it continuously for the next 3 more mins. After 3 mins, as shown in the pic.
- Afterward, add, 1/4 cup of grated khoya(check my khoya recipe) to the pan, and mix it nicely.
- And stir it continuously for 2 mins. After 2 mins as shown in the pic.
- Then add 2 tbsp homemade mango puree to it and mix this mango puree nicely with chenna khoya mix.
- At this point in time, you can see, that the chenna mixture colour will be changed into a yellow colour. Just after continuously stirring the mix for 1 min, turn off the heat. After 1 min as shown in the pic.
- But after turning off the heat, don’t remove the pan from the oven or stove. Then stir it continuously for 4-5 mins to get its smooth texture, it will be no longer sticky and easily leave the bottom of the pan. As shown in the pic.
- Then remove it from the pan and give it 5-10 mins standing time to completely cool it down, before making the sandesh with it. As shown in the pic.
How to stuff mango sandesh
- Now make six lemon-sized balls from the dough. And take each dough, make a hole by pressing the middle of this dough down with your thumb finger as shown in the finger.
- Then pour 1/4 tsp of mango jelly into this hole or stuff this dough with homemade mango jelly, as shown in the pic. This stuffing idea is similar to our jalbhara talshaans sandesh recipe.
- Then seal the mouth of this hole and give it a cylindrical shape. As shown in the pic.
How to shape mango sandesh(by hand)
- After that, give it a round shape & serve or shape it like real mango. To shape this sondesh, like mango, first, make a pinch with your two fingertips(thumb finger and pointer finger) on it(as shown in the pic below).
- Then make one more pinch vertically or lengthwise, which will look like a bird’s beak just give it an original shape of real mango, as shown in the pic.
- Now, little press down the area under that beak portion as shown in the pic.
- Once the shape is ready, then keep all the mango-shaped dough on a plate. And start pinching its other end to give an effect of its stem and leaf. As you can see, I’m pinching the mango-shaped dough from the other side of that beak as shown in the pic.
- Now take some pistachio, soak it for some time to remove its skin, and then divide the seeds from the middle. And press it down on the right place of the dough to give a leaf effect and cut some pistachios lengthwise to make its little stem.
- And this mango sandesh is ready with its jelly stuffing, keep it in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving.
- As I told you from the beginning continuous stirring is more important, don’t forget to do that.
- Even you can make it without the jelly stuffing but that stuffing will really make it awesome.
- You can use store-bought mango jelly or mango crush too as stuffing.
- Here I’ve not used cardamom or elachi powder as that might spoil its original mango flavor but you may use it if you wish.
- Even you may use canned mangoes for making mango puree and mango jelly for stuffing. If mangoes are not available in the market.
- Even you can shape this sondesh like small balls with or without stuffing.