Kulfi recipe or easy kulfi recipe or kulfi malai ice cream recipe with step by step pictures. Kulfi is an indian ice cream basically prepared with milk, flavored with cardamom and garnished with nuts like pistachios or almond. Nowadays, kulfi is considered to be a wonderful dessert in India but to me, it means a yummy desi malai ice cream since my childhood and I’ve lots of sweet memories with it. Even not only in summer, but this frozen dessert is always on high demand for its creamy milky texture. Today we’ll learn how to make kulfi at home in a simple and easy way.
Since my childhood, I have immense love with this ice cream, especially from that roadside kulfi seller, who used to sell it in the nearby areas of my house and school. I can still remember some of them came in a cycle van or carry a large box on their shoulder with different sizes of malai kulfi. They even set the price of this ice cream according to its size. They usually took kulfis out from their long mold as an ice cream stick. Even one another type of seller came with their kulfi malai in a big earthen pot or matka covered with a red cloth. But they usually served their plain cone-shaped kulfi in a leaf by cutting this ice cream into slices. I really miss those days!
In India, kulfi is generally prepared with only milk, but I make it by using my quick and easiest tricks. You must be thinking, what’s that, right? That is very simple. I just added milk powder with the milk and that’s the main ingredients of my kulfi recipe. As the milk powder quickly makes the milk thick, so I don’t need to spend much time making this indian dessert. As even, as I don’t prefer more nuts in my kulfi, so I’ve used a little pistachio to prepare this indian ice cream. But you may add chopped cashew, pista, or almond in your kulfi as per your requirement.
I used all common ingredients for making this homemade ice cream which is available in your home or nearby stores. Except for these ingredients, you need some moulds to set these kulfis in the freezer with or without sticks. If you don’t have moulds, you can set it in cups, glass, or even earthen matkas.
Even instead of using milk powder, here, you may use condensed milk, or milkmaid, khoya, or mawa too. Which will also help you to easily create the Malai or cream in the milk and the dudh will quickly turn into a thick and creamy consistency. However, in traditional recipe no milk powder or custard powder or cornflour or condensed milk is used as these are used only for making an instant recipe.
Try creamy delicious kulfi ice cream at home and let me know your valuable feedback about this recipe in the comment section below.
You may check my other eggless ice cream recipes which I made with my homemade custard
Kulfi recipe |easy kulfi recipe | kulfi malai ice cream recipe
Prep time: 2 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Served in: 6 hrs 35 mins
Total no of serving- 4 to 5
Author: Moumita Paul
- 1-liter full cream milk
- 1/2 cup milk powder
- 5-6 cardamom pods
- 5-6 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped pistachio
How to make kulfi ice cream recipe
- Take a heavy bottom pan(preferably non-stick), add 1 liter of full cream milk in it. Then separate 1 cup of milk from the pan and keep it in a bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup of milk powder to the bowl.
- Then whisk it well with the milk to make it lump-free.
- Once the milk powder is completely mixed with milk then add the milk mix to the pan’s milk. Mix it well.
- Take 5-6 cardamom pods take out its seeds and crush it to make a fine powder of it. Then add the powdered seeds along with the skin of cardamom pods.
- Then put the milk in the medium flame and let it boil. After started boiling, stir it continuously and must scrape its side with spatula.
- Stir it continuously all the time and scrap its sides to avoid burnt smell in your milk.
- When the milk reached its almost 1/2 portion then add 5-6 tbsp of sugar in it.
- Be more careful after adding sugar easily stick the milk to its bottom. So continuous stirring is more important in this stage.
- When the perfectly milk reached its half quantity and the malai or milk cream will be visible on your spatula like rabri then turn off the heat. And remove the pan from the stove.
- Here I’ve used my trick to make it with a super creamy texture, I pour the milk through a strainer to make it smooth. Use your spatula or whisker to pass the malai through the strainer.
- Then collect the malai from the bottom and outer side of the strainer and mix it with strained milk.
- When the malai will go through the strainer the milk will get a smooth texture as shown in the pic. I go through this process as I don’t want any lump of malai in my kulfis. But you may skip this step.
- You may skip it. For that after removing the pan from the stove, stir it continuously for 4-5 mins to release its heat. Then add 1 tbsp of finely chopped pistachio to the milk and mix it well.
- First, Take your molds to pour the milk in it. Then put it on the glass to make sure the molds stands straight.
- Then wrap the mouth of all molds with aluminium foil first as shown in the pic.
- Make a slit just centre of the foil to insert the ice cream stick in the kulfi mould.
- When all the moulds are ready with stick, then put it in your freezer and set it for 5-6 hours. This ice cream doesn’t take much time to set. Even to make it quickly you may increase your freezing temperature too.
- After 5-6 hours when the kulfi is set then take out these ice creams from the freezer. After rolling the molds in your both hands take out the ice cream from the mold and serve this popsicle by garnishing with pista, badam, or Kaju even you may sprinkle Kesar saffron strands too.
Tips for making best kulfi recipe
- Because of powdered milk, doodh quickly gets thick. So by using this milk powder recipe you may easily prepare this best homemade kulfi ice cream with the cardamom or rose water flavor taste.
- Milk powder is itself sweet so gradually add sugar in it as per your requirement.
- If you want smooth creamy kulfis as mine then only go through the straining part otherwise skip it. That will just give you a shop like texture.
- If you don’t have molds, you can use small glasses or cups or earthen matka for this recipe. Just pour the kulfi mix in it. Then cover the mouth of the glass or cup or matka with a small piece of cloths and freeze it. After 1 hour takes out the mold and adjusts an ice cream stick in the middle of this mix if required and again freeze it. And lastly garnish it with pista, badam, or Kesar and enjoy it.