Kulfi recipe – easy kulfi malai ice cream recipe with step-by-step pictures. Today we will see how to make easy kulfi malai ice cream at home with the main ingredients milk and milk powder. Kulfi is a popular Indian ice cream basically prepared with milk, khoya/ powdered milk solids, sugar, flavored with cardamom, and nuts like pistachios or almonds are used in its garnishing. Nowadays, it is considered to be a wonderful dessert in India. But to me, it means a yummy desi malai ice cream since my childhood and I’ve lots of sweet memories with it. Even not only in summer, but this frozen dessert is always in high demand for its creamy milky texture. Today we will learn a simple and easy way of making milk powder kulfi at home.
Since my childhood, I have had immense love for this ice cream. Especially when bought kulfis from a roadside seller, who used to sell them in the nearby areas of my house and school. I can still remember some of them came in a cycle van or carry a large box on their shoulder with different sizes of malai kulfi. They even set the price of this ice cream according to its size. They usually brought stick kulfis in a long mold. Even one another type of seller came with their kulfis in a big earthen pot or matka covered with a red cloth. But they usually served their plain cone-shaped kulfi in a leaf by cutting it into slices. I really miss those days!
In India, kulfi is generally used prepared with only milk & sugar, but I will make it by using my quick and easiest tricks. You must be thinking, what’s that, right? That is very simple. I just added milk powder with the milk and that’s the main ingredient of my recipe. As the milk powder quickly makes the milk thick, so I don’t need to spend much time making this Indian dessert. As even, as I don’t prefer more nuts in my kulfi, so I’ve only used a little pistachio to it. But you may add chopped cashew, pista, or almond in your kulfis as per your requirement.
I used all common ingredients for making this homemade ice cream which is available in your home or nearby stores. Except for these ingredients, you need some moulds to set these kulfis in the freezer with or without sticks. If you don’t have moulds, you can set them in cups, glass, or even earthen matkas.
Even instead of using milk powder, here, you may use condensed milk/milkmaid, khoya/mawa too. Which will also help you to easily create the Malai or cream in the milk and milk will quickly turn into a thick and creamy consistency. However, in traditional recipes no milk powder or custard powder or cornflour or condensed milk is used as these are used only for making an instant recipe.
Try it at home and let me know your valuable feedback about this recipe in the comment section below.
You may check my other eggless ice cream recipes which I made with my homemade custard
Kulfi recipe | easy kulfi malai ice cream recipe
Prep time: 2 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Served in: 6 hrs 35 mins
Total no of serving- 4 to 5
Author: Moumita Paul
Ingredients of kulfi
- 1-liter full cream milk
- 1/2 cup milk powder
- 5-6 cardamom pods
- 5-6 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped pistachio
How to make kulfi ice cream recipe
Instructions with step by step pictures
How to make kulfi
- Take a heavy bottom pan(preferably non-stick), add 1 liter of full cream milk in it. Then separate 1 cup of milk from the pan and keep it in a bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup of milk powder to the bowl.
- Then whisk the milk powder well with the milk to make a lump-free mix.
- Once the milk powder is completely mixed with milk then add the milk mix to the pan’s milk. Mix it well.
- Take 5-6 cardamom pods take out its seeds and crush it to make a fine powder of it. Then add the powdered seeds along with the skin of cardamom pods.
- Then put the milk in the medium flame and let it boil. After started boiling, stir it continuously and must scrape its side with spatula.
- Stir it continuously all the time and scrap its sides to avoid burnt smell in your milk.
- When the milk reached its almost 1/2 portion then add 5-6 tbsp of sugar in it. Though you can add more or less sugar as per your taste.
- Be more careful after adding sugar easily stick the milk to its bottom. So continuous stirring is more important in this stage.
- When the perfectly milk reached its half quantity and the malai or milk cream will be visible on your spatula like rabri then turn off the heat. And remove the pan from the stove.
- Here I’ve used my trick to make it with a super creamy texture, I pour the milk through a strainer to make it smooth. Use your spatula or whisker to pass the malai through the strainer.
- Then collect the malai from the bottom and outer side of the strainer and mix it with strained milk.
- When the malai will go through the strainer the milk will get a smooth texture as shown in the pic. I go through this process as I don’t want any lump of malai in my kulfi. But you may skip this step.
- You may skip it. For that after removing the pan from the stove, stir it continuously for 4-5 mins to release its heat. Then add 1 tbsp of finely chopped pistachio to the milk and mix it well.
- First, Take your molds to pour the milk in it. Then put it on the glass to make sure the molds stands straight.
- Then wrap the mouth of all molds with aluminium foil first as shown in the pic.
- Make a slit just center of the foil to insert the ice cream stick in the mould.
- When all the moulds are ready with stick, then put it in your freezer and set it for 5-6 hours. This ice cream doesn’t take much time to set. Even to make it quickly you may increase your freezing temperature too.
- After 5-6 hours when the kulfi will be set then take out these ice creams from the freezer. Roll the molds by keeping in between hands, take out the ice cream from the mold, and serve this popsicle by garnishing with pista, badam, or Kaju even you may sprinkle Kesar saffron strands too.
- Because of powdered milk, milk quickly gets thick. So by using this milk powder recipe you will easily prepare this best homemade kulfi ice cream with the cardamom or rose water flavor taste.
- Milk powder is itself sweet so gradually add sugar to it as per your requirement.
- If you want smooth creamy kulfis as mine then only go through the straining part otherwise skip it. That will just give you a shop-like texture.
- If you don’t have molds, you can use small glasses or cups or earthen matka for this recipe. Just pour the kulfi’s mix into a glass or cup or matka and cover it with a small piece of cloths to freeze it. After 1 hour takes out the mold and adjust an ice cream stick in the middle of this mix if required and again freeze it. And lastly garnish it with pista, badam, or Kesar and enjoy it.
4 thoughts on “Kulfi recipe | easy kulfi recipe | kulfi malai ice cream recipe”
Porlam …darun…ebar biriyani ta chai
Thank you so much didi… biriyani recipe will come soon
EEEEE!!! What I was looking for is finally in front of me, Summers to me are like eating lots of malai kulfi and without that I won;t say summer season has arrived…. Its the best thing to go for… Thanks to you SpicyPunch… Keep it up!
Thank you, Kavita