Homemade sweetened condensed milk | How to make condensed milk at home – a detailed recipe with step by step pictures. Condensed milk is a half evaporated, creamy, sweetened milk. Make this milky sweetener with just 3 simple ingredients, milk, milk powder or dairy whitener, and sugar. This milk-based sweetener is mostly used to make quick and easy sweets or desserts. Though
Today I will show how simple it is, to make this super creamy sweetened milk at home. It’s actually the recipe of that canned evaporated milk, popularly known as milkmaid or mithai mate. After using my recipe, you may easily make it at home with the half price of the can. The homemade version will be preservative-free and as creamy as the canned one, it’s guaranteed.
Generally in the traditional way, milk and sugar are mainly used in making this recipe. That is a little time-consuming process, so I use milk powder too in it.
Why milk powder or dairy whitener is used in making condensed milk?
- Firstly, if you are using toned milk, milk powder helps to quickly get a thick and creamy consistency.
- Even with a very less amount of milk just because of using milk powder we will get a decent amount of condensed milk.
- Moreover, as per my experience milk powder also makes a wonderfully creamy texture with the best taste, which I ever had.
Before making this sweetened milk, I always use a store-bought milk maid or mithai mate brand for making my instant sweet recipes. Such as my instant gajar ka halwa, coconut ladoos or burfi were common sweets made by those store-bought sweeteners. But once I started making it at home I feel it’s best and never bought condensed milk from the store. I guess you will also do the same after making it at home.
As there is no preservative and it’s homemade so it must be healthy without any doubt. However, for its self-life must store it in the refrigerator and enjoy over weeks.
You may check how do I make my Gajar ka halwa recipe with milkmaid from my website. Even I’ve made one of my simple Bengali Sandesh recipes Kacha Golla with this sweetened milk.
Homemade sweetened condensed milk | How to make condensed milk at home
Prep time: 2 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Served in: 22 mins
Course: Sweet recipes
Author: Moumita Paul
1 cup=250 ml
- 500ml milk or 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup milk powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp of baking soda
How to make condensed milk recipe
Preparation of condensed milk with milk powder
- First, take 1 cup of milk from 500 ml of milk. Keep it in a mixing bowl and add 1/2 cup of milk powder or dairy whitener to it.
- Mix it well with a whisker and make sure that the mixture would be lump-free.
- Then mix it with the rest of the milk kept in the pan.
- Add granulated sugar the milk and stir it continuously to completely melt it into the milk.
How to make condensed milk
- Put the pan on medium to high heat and let the milk start boiling. Stir it frequently and don’t let the milk stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the milk starts to boil then keep stirring it continuously and scrape the milk froth from the sides of the pan.
- Boil the milk till it reaches to 300 ml or almost its half. For me, it takes 12-13 mins to medium to high flame with continuous stirring the milk.
- Then add 1/8 tsp or a pinch of baking soda with the milk. After adding the soda, bubbles will first appear on the milk’s surface but don’t be afraid of it.
- Slow down the heat to its minimum. Then start stirring the milk and first, you will notice froth on the milk.
- Slowly the milk will start thickening and stir it continuously by scraping the sides of the pan.
- After 6-7 mins of continuous stirring, when then milk gets thick turn off the heat. Remove the pan from the oven.
- Here you may find its consistency is a little thinner than store-bought one. But don’t worry when it will completely cool down it gets thick and creamy as the canned sweetened milk.
- Keep stirring the milk in this stage to cool it down quickly. Then check its consistency by putting a finger into the milk. If your finger nicely covered by this milk-based sweetener. That indicates its perfectly done.
- Then again scrape the sides of the pan. Then pour this sweetened milk through a strainer to make a smooth, lump-free, and creamy consistency just like store-bought canned one.
- Now your homemade milkmaid or mithai made is ready. Keep in an airtight bowl or container and store it in your refrigerator. Using in making sweets or ice cream or fudge or caramel sauce or just use as any sweet spread.
Tips to make condensed milk recipe
- Store it in the refrigerator for at least one month.
- Don’t use more baking soda in this recipe as soda’s smell will overpower it.
- After keeping in the refrigerator for a long time it may get a little thicker. But don’t worry to get its liquid consistency just put it in the microwave for 10-20 secs.
- Never keep it outside as it’s a milk product so easily gets spoiled.