Grilled prawns or grilled shrimp is a quick Indian starter that can be easily prepared in a grilling pan or tawa, on bbq rack or even in the microwave oven. This indian style grilled prawns or grilled shrimp recipe requires some simple ingredients, i.e, tiger prawns (without shell), garlic, lime juice, spicy chili flakes, hung curd, butter, pepper, and coriander leaves. This wonderful recipe of grilled prawns will give you the best result with medium or jumbo tiger prawns or white prawns.
This skewer pricked marinated prawns can be simply served with any drinks after grilling it on direct fire of bbq or charcoal or just placing it on the greased pan’s or oven’s grilling method. This homemade grill prawns or shrimp can easily beat the restaurant for its delicious taste. Serve it in dinner as an appetizer or as the main course, the choice is yours.
Even you may use the same grilling method for making different prawn recipes with any type of marination. Just once marinate the prawns with all of these ingredients and forget it after keeping it in the refrigerator for about 1 hour. After 1 hour any time just take it out of the refrigerator and put it in skewers and grill till it’s perfectly cooked. While grilled this prawns or shrimps, must not keep it in the heat for longer, that might damage its tender and juiciness.
Here I’ve used two methods for making this prawn’s recipe, the first one is, the butter greased grilled pan and the second one is the bbq or charcoal grill. I never tried to prepare it in the microwave oven so when I’ll make it in oven discuss that process too.
A few years back, I used to prepare these grilled prawns or shrimps like first I put it on my grill pan for few minutes and lastly roast it for few seconds in the high flame of my gas stove to get the smokey flavor. But whenever I knew the bad impact on our health I stopped doing this to avoid its harmful consequences.
Now I completely prepare it in my grill pan and later either use a piece of burning charcoal (adding little butter) and cover the pan with a tight lid to get the smokey flavor in. Or I put the half grilled shrimp on the charcoal oven rack to grill it. As I’ve used a small trick to make it different so today I didn’t use that burnt charcoal though if you wish, may use that too.
Though you may try some more starters from my websites, i.e,
So it’s better to prepare this grilled prawns or grilled shrimp recipe in a safe way. Try this recipe at home please let me know your valuable feedback in the comment section below.
Grilled prawns recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 8-10 mins
Served in: 20 mins
Served for: 3 -4 people
Author: Moumita Paul
Ingredients of grilled prawns
- 15 pieces tiger prawns( 300 gms)
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 green chilies
- 2 tbsp hung curd
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- a handful of coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp of oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
How to make grilled prawns recipe
How to marinate the prawns
- Remove the prawns’ heads and shells except for the tail portion, devein it and Clean it first and add 2 tsp lime juice to it.
- Take a grinder jar, add cloves, ginger, green chilies and coriander to it, then add hung curd and blend it well to make a smooth paste.
- Then add this masala paste, salt and chili flakes with the prawns and mix it well.
- Lastly, add one and half tsp of oil and once again mix it nicely. Keep it in the refrigerator for 45min to 1 hr.
- Take the wooden skewers( if using a wooden one) and soak it in water for about an hour.
How to make grill prawns
- After 1 hr, take out the marinated prawns from the refrigerator and put it in skewers one by one. Five prawns are enough for one skewer.
- Place a grill pan on the heat, let it gets hot, then greased the pan with 1 tbsp melted butter.
- Add the prawn skewers to the pan and grill it for the first 3-4 mins. Then brush some butter on it and turn it over.
- Grill another side for 3-4 mins and then again brush some butter on its upper side.
- Lastly, raise the flame to the maximum and grill both sides for 1 minute (each). Here I’ve applied one trick to get the grilled impression on the prawns or shrimps. Use a spatula or any flat cooking utensil even such as masher to press down the prawns on the pan.
- For making this recipe in bbq or charcoal grill rack is the same. Only time will take a little less than as it’s on the direct heat. It took 6- 7 mins to get grilled for me.
- Now your grilled prawns or shrimps are ready to eat, serve it with mint-coriander chutney, lemon slices, and sliced onions.
- If you are using iron skewers, don’t need to soak it in water.
- To get the smokey flavor, after turn off the oven, take burning charcoal in a small bowl by adding some butter to it. When it’ll start releasing smoke, put it in the grill pan with the prawns and cover it with a tight lid. Let it be for 3-4 mins and smokey flavor will be in the prawns.