Fish kabiraji recipe step by step with pictures – Fish kabiraji is delicious and popular street food in Kolkata. Basically, fish kabiraji is one more recipe of fish cutlet but not that regular Bengali version. In short, when breadcrumbs coated fried fish cutlet comes with a wonderful crispy cover, called fish kabraji.
Kabiraji can be made with fish or chicken or mutton but all are popular for its crispy cover which is prepared with a batter of eggs and corn flour that only makes it different from the regular cutlet. This fish kabiraji cutlet recipe is mainly dived into two parts. For making the first part you may blindly follow the breadcrumbs coated bengali fish fry recipe but the last part mostly depends on the skill more than its ingredients.
Like some other popular bengali starters, this fish kabiraji cutlet recipe is possibly invented in the British period and influenced by British cuisine as then Kolkata was the capital of India for a long time. People say the word kabraji comes from the English word coverage, which means that crispy cover(with eggs and cornflour) is used to wrap the fried fish cutlet. Mitra cafe is a renowned name since British period for making different bengali cutlets and kabiraji recipes and their fish kabiraji recipe is one of them.
Try this delicious fish kabiraji at home and please let me know your valuable feedback about this fish kabiraji recipe in the comment section below.
You may try some other wonderful starter from my website, i.e,
Fish kabiraji recipe
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Served in: 40 mins (marination time not included)
Served for: 4 people
Author: Moumita Paul
For marinating the fish fillets
- 4 pieces bhetki fish fillets( 200 gms)
- 6-8 garlic cloves
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vinegar
For coating with breadcrumbs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
For crispy cover
- 4 eggs
- 6 tbsp cornflour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
How to make fish kabiraji recipe
- First, wash the fish fillets and then soak it in water with 2 tsp of vinegar for 15-20 mins.
- Then take a blender jar or mortar and pestle to make a smooth paste of garlic, ginger and green chillies. Keep it aside.
- After 20 mins, take out the fish fillets from the water and squeeze it gently to completely remove the excess water out of it and then add the ginger-garlic-green chilli paste, salt, pepper and lemon juice to it.
- Then gently mix the fillets with all masalas and marinate it for the next 45 mins to 1 hour.
- After 1 hr, take a plate with 1 cup of bread crumbs and add 1/2 tsp salt to it. And take 2 eggs in a bowl with 1/4 tsp of salt. Beat the eggs well.
- Then take a marinated fish fillets, first dip it in beaten eggs and then nicely coat it with breadcrumbs. Then keep it in the freezer for 15 mins.
- Next, place a pan on the medium flame, add enough oil for deep frying. Then add the fish fillets(kept in the freezer for 15 mins) to the hot oil. Fry till it gets a nice golden brown colour from both sides.
- Remove the cutlets from the oil and place it in a paper towel.
- Then take another bowl, add eggs, cornflour, baking soda, salt, and pepper and beat it well to make it lump-free.
- You may take the same pan, then strain the oil first to remove all the unwanted particles of bread crumbs to use it later in this recipe.
- Try to take a wide flat pan, place it on the low to medium flame and add some generous amount of oil to the pan with that clean oil.
- Then first dip your fingers into the batter and then spread the batter(which is on the fingers) on the top of the oil, by moving your wrist from one side to another side of the pan. As shown in the pic.
- Do it repeatedly to create a thick mesh or web with many layers. As shown in the pic.
- When the web is ready, then dip the fried fish cutlet in the same egg batter and place it on one side of the egg web.
- Then take two spatulae to nicely wrap the cutlets with the egg web, and then remove it from the pan.
- Finally, the bengali fish kabiraji cutlet is ready to serve. Serve this fish kabiraji with bengali mustard sauce or kasundi, tomato ketchup, and onion rings.
- The egg web should be wide and thick(as created with many layers) to perfectly cover the cutlet. So the cutlet must not be visible through its web.
- After frying the breadcrumb coated cutlet in the oil, either use only fresh oil or strain the oil like me and then use it with some fresh oil.
- Don’t be in a hurry while making the egg web.