easy chana masala with step by step picture format. It is an indian chickpea curry where chickpea is cooked in simple indian flavourful spices. It’s a delicious Indian veg curry which is very easy to make in your kitchen. This easy chana masala is favorite to almost all vegetarian to vegan people. Though here a little addition of curd may disappoint the vegans but don’t worry about it, use of lemon instead of curd, that won’t much affect its taste.
I know, you must be thinking, as a pure non-vegetarian how could I prepare this veg recipe in my home? In spite of being non-vegetarian, some of the veg dishes are part of my kitchen for their awesomeness. Especially when we get bored with the non-vegetarian dishes(because of its daily consumption), such simple veg curries are the only replacement for me. And that is why Monday night I prepared this easy chana masala or indian chickpea curry for our dinner and today I’m going to share it with you.
This indian chickpea curry requires some easily available ingredients to make it divine. Finely chopped onion with chopped tomato and little addition of ginger-garlic-chili paste will help us to make a perfect gravy for it. Whereas turmeric- chili powder brings color to it, there coriander powder and salt will enhance its taste. And lastly, the participation of garam masala powder will make it aromatic as well as scrumptious. Little curd, makes more smooth and rich colored gravy, especially its perfect blend with garam masalas is just incredible. Please stay with me until the end to know all the tricks and tips have been used to make this more flavourful and delightful chickpea masala.
You can make this easy chana masala anytime in your kitchen, as it goes nicely with roti, chapathi, nun, kulcha even jeera rice or plain steamed rice too. Though I made it as a main course for dinner, you also may serve it with bhatura in your breakfast.
Are you a pure vegetarian or simply want to change the taste just like me? Then you may like my another vegetarian recipe, Matar paneer recipe and trust me you won’t get disappointed with it.
Please let me know how this easy chana masala or indian chickpea curry performed at your home, did it enhance your appetite or simply relief your hunger, leave a comment in the comment box below.
easy chana masala
- 1/2 cup Kabuli chana/chickpeas
- a pinch of Hing/Asafoetida
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- a medium sized tomato chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp ginger paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp curd
- 2 green chillis paste
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1tsp roasted garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- water(as per requirement)
- 2 1/2 tbsp refined oil
- salt(as required)
How to make roasted garam masala powder for this chickpea masala
- 2 tbsp whole coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp whole cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp black peppercorn
- 3/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 6-8 cloves
- 1/4 nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
Dry roast all the above mention masalas or whole spices and then blend it to make a fine garam masala powder for this chickpea masala
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25-30 mins
Served in: 35-40 mins
Cuisine: North Indian
Course: main course
Served for: 3
How to make easy chana masala with step by step pictures
How to prepare the kabul chana or chickpeas for this chickpea masala:
- First, take 1/2 cup of chana or chickpeas in a bowl.
- Wash it 4-5 times with water to remove all the dirt from it.
- Soak it in 2-3 cups of water for 6-8 hours.
How to boil the chana/chickpeas for making indian chickpea curry
- After 6-8 hours, strain the soaked chana/chickpeas to remove the water.
- Take a pressure cooker, add the soaked chana/chickpeas in it.
- Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of fresh water to it.
- Now add 1 pinch of baking soda and 1/4 tsp of salt to the pressure cooker.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and place it on medium heat.
- Wait for 3 whistles and turn off the heat.
- When the pressure cooker automatically releases all the pressure, then only remove the lid.
- Your soft chana/chickpeas are ready to prepare the chana masala.
How to make easy chana masala:
- Firstly, chop the onion, use a mortar-pestle to make the ginger-garlic paste, make the green chili paste too or chopped it finely. Chopped the tomato.
- Now take a pan, place it on medium heat, add oil to heat and let the oil gets hot.
- Add 1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds and 1 bay leaf to the hot oil, then add a pinch of Hing/asafoetida to it.
- Then add chopped onion to the pan. And fry it till gets golden brown color.
- Add chopped tomato to it, stir it well. Fry it till the tomato gets soft and easily mash it with a ladle.
- Then add ginger-garlic-green chili paste to it and sauté it for one minute, add well-beaten curd to it and mix it well.
- Next, add, coriander powder, turmeric powder and red chili powder to it and nicely sauté it. Then add the garam masala powder to it, give a nice stir.
- When the masala will start to release oil from its side, then add the cooked chana or chickpeas with the water(which has been used to boil the chana). Stir it well. Add salt and then cover the pan with a tight lid.
- Let boil the chana /chickpeas in the gravy and stir it occasionally. In the meantime, can add some lukewarm water if required. Though the consistency of this chickpea masala is totally up to you.
- lastly, add the chopped coriander leaves(optional) for getting a wonderful flavor from this indian chickpea curry. Serve this easy chana masala with rice or roti, the choice is yours. Sprinkle some lemon juice from the top before serving.
- Instead of chopping, you can make a fresh homemade tomato puree for making this indian chickpea curry.
- Use of hing or asafoetida is not mandatory but it enhances the flavor of this curry.
- Here I’ve used a 1/2 cup of chana/chickpeas for us but you can use more chana according to your requirements. Then use the spices proportionately.