Dahi Chicken (called Doi Murgi in Bengali) is an Indian style chicken curry cooked in yogurt/curd flavored with a few simple spices. This chicken curry goes best with Plain rice, Pulao, Jeera rice, roti, chapathi, parantha, or garlic naan.
For making this chicken curry, chicken is first marinated with only yogurt or curd and lime juice. Then chicken is cooked in a gravy containing onion, garlic, chillies, yogurt, and cashew nuts, black pepper, garam masala, & red chilli powder. Isn’t it just like other simple Indian chicken curry recipes?
In making this recipe, cashews are used to dilute the tanginess of dahi and also make the gravy thick and white. Yogurt and cashews also make the gravy less spicy. Here I also used my homemade garam masala powder which enhances the taste and flavor of this curry. That home made garam masala makes this chichen curry different from other Indian chicken curry recipes which are also cooked with yogurt.
Dahi Chicken is also named Doi Murgi in Bengali cuisine. In West Bengal, this chicken curry has several names, “Doi diye chicken curry” or “Doi diye mugrir mangsho”. As “Dahi” is a Hindi term for Bengali “Tok Doi” (unflavoured yogurt or curd) and “Chicken” called “Murgi” in the Bengali language. This chicken curry is also a popular dish in Pakistan, this curry is known as Dahi Murg / Dahi wala murgh in Pakistani cuisine.
Try this Chicken Curry recipe at home. Hope my step by step instructions will give you the best result. Let me know your valuable feedback about this recipe. Write your comment in the comment section below.
Few more curd based chicken curry recipes
Dahi Chicken recipe – In Bengali Doi Murgi recipe – Curd Chicken Curry recipeCourse: Lunch/DinnerCuisine: Indian, BengaliDifficulty: Easy
Dahi Chicken is an Indian style chicken curry cooked with curd or yogurt and a few simple spices. Dahi chicken is made in just 40 mins and goes best with Plain rice, Pulao, Jeera rice or roti, or garlic naan.
Ingredients of Dahi chicken recipe (Bengali Doi Murgi recipe)
- Marinade the Chicken with
750 g Chicken (Curry cut chicken pieces)
8 tbsp Dahi / Doi / Curd / Yogurt
1 Lemon Juice
- For Masala Paste
15 Cashew Nuts
3 Onion (sliced thinly)
14 whole Garlic cloves / lahsoon
1/2 inch Ginger / Aadrak
4 Green Chillies / Hari Mirchi
4 Green Cardamom
1/2 inch Cinnamon
8 Black Peppercorns / Kali Mirchi
- Other Seasonings
1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder / Laal Mirchi Powder
3/4 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt
6 tbsp Oil (Mustard oil/Vegetable oil)
- Whole Spices (for Tempering in Oil)
2 Bay Leaves
8 Peppercorns / Kali Mirchi
2 Green Cardamom
1/2 inch Cinnamon
How to make Dahi chicken recipe
- For making this chicken curry, first clean and wash the chicken pieces.
- Marinate with curd /yogurt (6 tbsp whisked curd) and lemon juice.
- Coarsely grind the ginger, garlic, green chillies, cashew nuts, and whole garam masalas (cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg & whole black peppercorns).
- Then again grind the masala with 1 chopped onion and 2 tbsp yoghurt, and add little water until making a sauce-like creamy puree.
- To make Dahi Chicken Gravy
- Heat a pan, add oil, and heat the oil until releases smoke. Here I used mustard oil, you can use vegetable oil instead.
- Then fry the onion (2 thinly sliced onions) until soft and succulent. Add bay leaves and whole garam masalas to the pan for tempering.
- Once the onion gets golden, add the ground masala puree mixed with 1/4 cup of water, and mix it well with onions.
- Add 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/2 tsp sugar, and salt seasoning, and mix them well with the masalas.
- Fry/sauté the masala until the masalas raw smell goes off and the masala releases oil from the sides too.
- Add the marinated chicken into the pan, and mix it well with the masalas. Cook it on medium heat by covering the pan.
- Stir it often and let the spices infused in the chicken. Cook it until the chicken gets soft & tender.
- Then add little water, mix it well with the gravy, and again cover the pan.
- Let the gravy boil, add a little salt if needed, mix well and cook for a min. Turn off the heat.
- Dahi chicken is ready, enjoy this chicken curry with roti or Pulao.
- In this chicken curry, I did not use turmeric as I do not prefer to use turmeric for making any curd based gravy. But you can surely use it for this recipe.
How to make Dahi chicken recipe (Bengali Doi Murgi recipe or Curd Chicken Curry recipe) step by step with pictures
○ First clean the chicken and thoroughly wash it with water.
○Then marinate the chicken with 6 tbsp of whisked yogurt and lemon juice.
○ Coarsely grind the ginger, garlic, green chillies, cashew nuts, and whole garam masalas (cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg & whole black peppercorns).
○Then again grind the masala with 1 chopped onion and 2 tbsp curd, and add little water until making a sauce-like creamy puree.
To make Dahi Chicken Gravy
○ For making this chicken gravy, first heat a pan, add oil, and once the oil is hot, put 2 thinly sliced onions in the oil.
○Fry the onion until onion gets soft and succulent.
○ Add bay leaves and whole garam masalas (cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and black peppercorn / Kali mirchi) to the pan.
○Fry the onion until golden, add the ground masala puree mix with 1/4 cup of water, and mix it well with onions.
○ Add 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/2 tsp sugar, and salt seasoning, and mix them well with the masalas.
○Fry/sauté the masala until masalas raw smell goes off and the masala releases oil from the sides too.
○ Add the marinated chicken into the pan, and mix it well with the masalas.
○ Stir well until chicken is nicely coated with the masalas. Cook it on medium heat by covering the pan.
○ Stir it often and cook it until the chicken gets soft & tender. Add little water, and mix it well. Cover the pan.
○ Let the gravy boil, add a little salt if needed, mix well, and cook for a min. Turn off the heat.
○ Dahi chicken (Bengali Doi Murgi or Curd Chicken Curry) is ready, enjoy this chicken curry with roti or Pulao.