Creamy jumbo prawn recipe with step by step pictures – Learn to make a very quick & easy recipe of giant shrimp. It’s a delicious recipe of giant tiger prawns in a creamy butter garlic sauce. This creamy jumbo prawns is made by giant tiger prawns or black shrimps cooked in butter garlic-flavored creamy milk-based gravy. I made this recipe of jumbo prawns with an Indian twist with my simple and easily available ingredients.
Creamy jumbo prawn is a simple and quick recipe of giant shrimp originally a reflection of western cuisine. My husband suddenly brings these jumbo tiger prawns from the market to think of making a great recipe on the giant shrimp. However, being a prawn lover’s family, I’ve already made many popular recipes on prawns even with giant prawns. So I was a bit confused to make something special with these giant shrimps which can make my family happy.
Then suddenly the idea of fish in creamy butter garlic sauce recipe came in my mind. But the problem was for making the same creamy butter garlic style prawns except for parsley, butter, and black pepper other things were missing at my home. My house was out of fresh or heavy cream even also parmesan cheese. And without these two crucial ingredients, I was not able to get an authentic butter garlic sauce recipe with the perfect taste.
But I was so determined and not in a mood to give up. So use my own trick to invent a new recipe with these giant tiger prawns with simple ingredients of my kitchen. Instead of using the cream I choose milk and to keep it healthy and think of my calories cut off the cheese.
Though dry parsley is always in my pantry, we all may not have that option so I simply use fresh coriander leaves in this prawns dish too. For more flavoring grated lemon zest is my first choice and then lemon juice. However, lemon juice can not be direct use in the prawn’s gravy as it may curdle the milk.
So lemon juice is mainly used to marinated these jumbo prawns with garlic and pepper. Later fried these giant well-marinated prawns in butter. And lastly made the gravy with this jumbo shrimp.
Though neither Indian spices are used nor this prawns recipe exactly followed the European cuisine but simply wins our heart. Though instead of jumbo prawn, you may use medium to large size black tiger prawns or white shrimp for making this recipe. That will also give you the same result.
Even it’s the best idea to quickly make this scampi for dinner and easily served it with simple white rice or butter herb rice. Even any type of bread goes perfect with this simple dish of prawns.
You might have tried and tested lots of yummy recipes with prawns but it’s a bit different from them. If you have a craving for a European dish especially fond of creamy butter garlic gravy must try this recipe with prawns. As a die heart prawn lover and loves the continental dish, my family and kid loved it most. I hope you will enjoy these Indian style prawns in creamy butter garlic sauce.
Try these prawns at home and please write down your valuable feedback about this recipe in the comment section below.
You may try some of my other Bengali style giant prawn recipes, Daab chingri recipe and chingri macher malai curry. In these, both recipes, Golda chingri or freshwater giant shrimp or scampi is used.
Even you try some of my other Indian style prawn recipes, such as the prawn cutlet recipe, grilled prawns, Bengali steamed prawns.
Even check crispy batter fried prawns, Japanese recipe prawn tempura, and Chinese style chili prawns from my website.
Creamy jumbo prawn recipe- a quick & easy recipe of shrimp
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Served for: 3 people
Cuisine: Indian / European
Author: Moumita Paul
- 500 g giant freshwater prawns
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 lemon juice
- 1&1/2 cup Milk
- 1 lemon zest
- 50 g butter
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper
- a handful of coriander leaves
- 3/4 tsp salt
How to make creamy jumbo prawn recipe
Here I’ve used 3 giant freshwater prawns or jumbo shrimp for making this Indian style European recipe. First, we have to clean the prawns as I described below.
- Take the prawns, first remove the front part of its head including the sharp portion called rostrum, antennas and its eyes with scissor. As shown in the pic.
- Then you may remove the small legs from its abdominal portion but don’t remove its long legs. As shown in the pic.
- Now take a toothpick or skewer and remove its stomach from its head which is just a little behind the portion which was removed first. Its stomach is basically a black color gland full of dirt that may cause stomach ache.
- Take a scissor and cut its shell along its back till the tail portion. As shown in the pic.
- After cutting its shell, the vein will be easily visible through the cuts. Carefully take the whole vein out just by using the skewer.
- Now thoroughly cleans the prawns with water and it will be ready to prepare this recipe.
- Though it will take little time to properly clean the prawns as its shells and long legs are still intact. However, you may also remove its shells and that is your personal choice. But I Personally feel without its skin and legs it losses its looks.
How to cook creamy jumbo prawns
- Now take the cleaned prawns in a mixing bowl, add lemon juice from one medium-size lemon.
- Then add 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper to the prawns. Mix it nicely.
- Then add 1/2 tsp of garlic paste and nicely coat the prawns with it.
- Even must rub its skin through the cuts of its shell. But do it gently to keep its Sheel intact with its body. Let it get marinated.
- Now take a pan, place it on slow heat, add 50 g of butter to it.
- Once the butter melts, then add the marinated prawns to the pan along the water comes from prawns during marination.
- Cook the prawns in butter for the first 3 mins then turn it over and similarly cook the other side for the same time. By the time you may cook these jumbo shrimp by cover the pan with a tight lid.
- Then add 1 1/2 tsp of grated or finely chopped garlic to the one side of the pan.
- Stir the garlic to mix it nicely with the prawns from its both sides.
- After 1 min of sautéed the prawns with garlic, add one and a half cup of milk to the pan. Mix it well. Here I’ve used full cream milk but you may use toned milk too. See the tips portion for more information.
- Let prawns cooked in milk for 1-2 mins. Then add lemon zest to the pan by grating the skin of a medium size lemon. But only the green colour skin of the lemon not the white portion.
- Then add salt as you required and around 1 tsp of pepper to pan. Mix it well with the creamy gravy of prawns.
- After a few seconds add 1 tsp of parsley, I used dry parsley you may use fresh parsley too if you have any. If you don’t have just skip it.
- After 1-2 mins of slow cooking add the chopped coriander leaves to the pan and give a good stir to nicely mix it with prawns and its creamy gravy.
- Cook the prawns maximum for 1-2 mins after adding the coriander leaves. Then turn off the heat as our creamy jumbo prawns is ready to serve. Have it with herb rice or simple steamed white rice or even with butter toasted bread.
Tips for making best jumbo prawns recipe
- As I use full cream milk so gets thick and the best creamy gravy of the shrimp by the time. But if you don’t get the perfect consistency with toned milk, then you may add 2 tsp of cornflour in little milk, mix it well to make it lump-free. Then add it to the pan and within a minute the gravy of these prawns will be thick and creamy as mine.
- Though prawn doesn’t take much time to cook then also you may use lid when cooking the prawns in milk.
- Though here I use giant shrimps in this recipe. However, white prawns or tiger prawns are also good to use in this Indian-western style prawns.
- If you have any confusion between white prawns and tiger prawns. Then I must say the shell of white prawns is pure white in color. On the other hand, tiger prawns have black stripes on its shell. Even light black shades on its shell will help you to recognize tiger prawns.
- Use salt as per your taste and carefully use it if you are using salted butter in it.