Cold coffee recipe with step-by-step pictures – In one word Cold coffee is the most delicious cold beverage simply made by blending chilled milk with powdered coffee and sugar. Basically, this cold coffee concept first comes in India through CCD, Starbucks, or Barista-like worldwide popular cafes. Even due to these popular cafes, cold coffee is not bounded to a single recipe and became popular with its several variations. CCD, Starbucks, Barista first came with creamy and frothy cold coffee recipes which were much loved by people. Among these cafes, Ccd is my all-time favorite coffee shop for all types of cold coffee recipes. That is why my today’s recipe is just about my all-time favorite CCD-style coffee “Cafe frappe” and “Devil’s Own”. Today we will learn how to make it at home with step-by-step pics.
What is cafe frappe? Cafe frappe is one of the most popular cold coffee of CCD. It is made by a concoction of thick & creamy chilled milk, powdered coffee, sugar, chocolate sauce, and scoops of vanilla ice cream.
What is Devil’s own? Devil’s own is CCD’s richest chocolate-flavored cold coffee. It is also prepared with thick & creamy chilled milk, powdered coffee, sugar, chocolate sauce, grated chocolate, whipped cream(the main ingredient of this recipe) by applying the same blending method.
Why CCD is my favorite cold coffee junction? I was first introduced to cold coffee at CCD and fell in love with its creamy frothy delicious iced coffee. Since then many times I have visited their shop and became a huge fan of their all-cold coffee recipes. So when I started making it at home, I always try to bring the same CCD style taste and texture in my homemade coffee recipes. After a long-term effort finally, I can make a closed version of their coffee recipes. As Cafe frappe and Devils own are 2 of my favorite cold coffee from CCD so I often make it at home. Today I decided to share them in my blog post.
The two most important conditions for making cafe-style cold coffee – Thick & creamy milk and brewed coffee are the two most important ingredients for making any cafe-style coffee. Milk powder or condensed milk is mixed with milk and cooked to make it thick & creamy. On the other hand, instead of direct use of powder coffee, brewed coffee is used to make any cafe-style coffee. Brewed coffee is a method of collecting coffee extract by pouring hot water on the powdered or ground coffee, allow to infuse, and lastly filter. Generally, this method is used in all coffee shops for making lump-free coffee.
Equipment used in making homemade cold coffee – Without using any special equipment these ccd style cold coffee can be easily made at home in our simple kitchen blender or at a juicer jar. As even a blender will also make huge froth on the top of this drink as the coffee maker machine did. If you don’t have a blender, you can make it by simply using a whisker, hand beater, or even a shaker.
How to serve cold coffee – In CCD, cold coffee is generally served in a chilled tall glass decorated with chocolate sauce/syrup by adding few ice cubes in it. Even for having the same cafe-style taste, garnish it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and grated chocolate shavings or chocolate chips. Enjoy this drink itself as no snacks need to have it with.
You may also check few more drinks from my website to beat this hot Indian summer, i.e, SWEET PUNJABI LASSI, MANGO LASSI, AAM PANNA, HOMEMADE MANGO FROOTI.
Cold coffee recipe(CCD style)
Ingredients of cold coffee
For making thick and creamy milk
- 1/2 liter or 500 ml milk(full cream)
- 1/2 cup or 8 tbsp milk powder
For making brewed coffee
- 1 1/2 tsp instant coffee powder(bru or nescafe)
- 2 tsp hot water
For making cafe frappe
- 250 milk (thick and creamy)
- 2 tsp sugar
- Brewed coffee(mentioned above)
- 2 scoop vanilla ice cream
For making Devil’s own
- 250 ml milk (thick and creamy)
- 2 1/2 tsp sugar
- Brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- 2 1/2 tbsp chocolate sauce
- 2 tbsp grated dark chocolate shavings
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream
- 1 tsp grated chocolate shavings
- 2 1/2 tsp chocolate syrup
- 1 tsp chocolate chips
- Few ice cubes
Prep time: 10 mins
Total time: 10 mins
Served for: 2 people
Author: Moumita Paul
How to make cold coffee with step by step pictures
- First, take 2 tall glasses, make it chilled by keeping it in the freezer for 20 mins.
- Once chilled take it out of the freezer and decorate the glasses with chocolate sauce by using a spoon. Then again keep it in the freezer for 10-15 mins. Later use it for serving this drink.
Making of thick & creamy milk
- Then take 500ml or 1/2 liter whole milk or full cream milk in a pan, add 1/2 cup(8 tbsp) of milk powder in it. Mix it nicely to make it lump-free.
- Heat the pan until it gets a thick and creamy consistency and the froth comes up on the top of the milk. Turn off the heat.
- Scrape the milk from the side of the pan. Then set the milk aside to completely cool down.
- Once the milk cools down put it in the refrigerator till the milk gets chilled.
Whether milk is ready divide into two equal parts for making these 2 types of these special cold coffee recipes.
Making of brewed coffee
- Take 1 1/2 tsp of instant coffee powder, as I used bru, you can use nescafe too, then add 2 tsp hot water to it.
- Stir it nicely until the lumps dissolve. It is perfect for every 250 ml portion of milk.
Even you may take the same amount of ground coffee beans or filter coffee powder with 3-4 tsp of hot water. Let it be infused first and then using a filter or percolator to get the only coffee extract.
Making of cold coffee
How to make cafe frappe
- In a blender jar, add half a portion of chilled milk, 2 tsp sugar, brewed coffee, 1 1/2 tbsp of chocolate syrup(not added in this recipe), and 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream. Covered the blender jar tightly.
- Blend all ingredients together at low to medium speed till gets the foamy froth on its top.
- Take the chilled glass decorated with chocolate syrup, add few ice cubes(forgot to add), and pour the coffee from a slight high to make more froth in it.
- Garnish the coffee with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a tsp of grated chocolate shavings. Coffee day special Cafe frappe is ready. Serve it with a long spoon and straw.
How to make Devil’s own
- Take the same blender jar, another half a portion of chilled milk, 2 1/2 tsp sugar, brewed coffee, 1/2 cup whipped cream, and 2 1/2 tbsp chocolate sauce or syrup, 2 tbsp grated dark chocolate shavings in it. Tightly cover the blender jar.
- Blend it well together on low to medium speed until gets huge froth on its top.
- Take another chilled glass decorated with chocolate sauce or syrup, add few ice cubes(forgot to add), and pour the coffee from a little high to make more froth in it.
- Garnish the drink with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a tsp of grated chocolate shavings, and a tsp of chocolate chips. CCD style Devil’s own is ready, serve it with a long spoon and straw.
Try these 2 coffee recipes at home and share your valuable feedback in the comment section below.
- Instead of using ice cubes in the blender, direct use them in the serving glass to maintain the thickness of this beverage.
- Chocolate sauce is a must-used ingredient in a cafe-style cafe frappe. Though I didn’t use it in my recipe as a chocolate sauce used in decoration quite maintains that taste. However, you may add it to get a more chocolaty taste in this drink.
How to make an easy cold coffee recipe?
Make it easier by blending a cup of chilled milk with one and a half tsp instant coffee powder(Bru/ Nescafe), and sugar until creamy and frothy. Served this drink in a tall glass(decorated with chocolate syrup) with ice cubes.
How to make it thick without using milk powder?
You may use milk powder in milk for making the milk thick and creamy, as I did in this recipe. Otherwise, you may direct use 6-8 tbsp of condensed milk or fresh/ whipped cream or ice cream scoops in the blender with milk, coffee, and sugar. Though then add sugar as per your taste.
What is the difference between Cafe frappe and Devil’s own?
Cafe frappe is just a creamy cold coffee of cafe coffee day with a perfect balance of coffee and chocolate. Whereas Devil’s own is popular for its more chocolaty taste. As not only chocolate sauce and chocolate shavings used in making this beverage are even garnished with chocolate chips too.
Is cold coffee good for health?
No, it is not. Cold coffee contains high calories including fat for using thick milk, sugar, and ice cream, or even whipped cream. So it is not healthy for those who are having diabetes, high calorie, or on a low-fat weight-loss diet.
Can I make cold coffee without ice cream?
Ice cream is neither mandatory for making a regular cold coffee recipe nor with its garnishing. Ice cream will just bring the cafe-style delicious taste, perfect creamy texture, and huge froth on the top of this drink. So, don’t need to use it if not available at home then.