Chilli prawns gravy recipe with step by step pictures. Chilli prawns is a Chinese recipe where prawns are cooked with different chinese sauce and chilies. This “Chinese style chilli prawns” is an easy and quick recipe of our Indochinese cuisine. As you know, prawn doesn’t take much time to cook and as it’s a Chinese style stir fry recipe too, so this garlic and chilli prawns can be quickly served with any Chinese style rice or noddles or even with pasta or spaghetti.
For making this chinese style chilli prawns recipe (with gravy), first, batter fry the prawns by using the same amount of cornflour and all-purpose flour with egg, salt, and pepper, dip it into the batter before shallow frying. Later stir fry this batter-fried prawns with veggies in chilli sauce, tomato ketchup and a little addition of vinegar.
Now the question is why the Chinese food served in India is called Indochinese food or Chinese style food and how it’s different from an authentic Chinese food?
Actually, China itself has different cuisines, and these different styles actually come from different regions of China, some of them are hot and spicy or mild sweet or sour and sweet. In short, people from different regions in China have their own cooking style according to their taste.
And Indochinese food or Chinese style food in India is basically a true combination of all Chinese cuisine, a perfect match of, sweet, sour and spicy taste which our taste bud actually accepts and that almost different in taste from any regional food of China.
Chilli is an important ingredient after prawn in this recipe as we can easily understand by its name, so I have used both green chili and green chili sauce here like other chilli prawn recipes. Generally, different types of Chinese sauce are easily available in our Indian kitchen due to our huge cravings towards Chinese food. Am I right? So if you are a prawn lover must try it in your kitchen.
You may relish this chinese style chilli prawns with the Veg fried rice recipe or Italian herb rice recipe from my website.
Chilli prawns gravy recipe
Prep time: 15-20mins
Cook time: 15-20 mins
Served in: 30-40 mins
Course: Main course
Cuisine: Indochinese / Chinese style
Served for: 4-5 people
Author: Moumita Paul
Ingredients of chilli prawns
(1 cup = 250 ml)
For making the batter to marinate the prawns
- 500 gms prawn(22-25 prawns)
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp pepper(crushed)
- 1/2 cup of oil for frying
For making the gravy
- 1 medium-size capsicum( cut into cubes)
- 2 medium onion (cut into 8 pieces)
- 1/2 inch ginger(julienne cut)
- 2 tsp garlic(finely chopped)
- 3 green chillies(diagonal slice cut)
- 1/2 cup spring onion(finely chopped)
- a handful of spring onion leaves
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp chili sauce(red chili or green chili)
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- black pepper or white pepper(crushed)
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 1 1/2 cup of water
- refined oil or sesame oil
How to make chilli prawns gravy recipe with step by step pictures:
How to fry the batter coated marinated prawns
- First, remove prawns head and shell and devein the prawns. Or even use cleaned store-bought prawns. Wash it properly. Keep it in a mixing bowl.
- Then add one egg, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper(crushed or powdered) to the mixing bowl. Mix it nicely together.
- Next, add cornflour, and all-purpose flour to the mixing bowl, one by one for making the batter to fry it in oil. So the batter is ready. Cover the bowl and leave it for 10-15 mins marination.
- Then take a pan, place it on medium-high flame. let the oil becomes hot, add 1/2 cup of refined oil or sesame oil in the pan. Let the oil gets hot.
- Add the prawns in the pan along with its batter as shown in the pic.
- Shallow fry or deep fry the prawns till it gets lite golden brown in colour. Each side will take 1-2 mins to cook, overcooking makes it chewy.
- Remove the prawns from the pan and keep it aside for using it later.
How to make the gravy of this Chinese style chilli prawns
- Take the same pan(used earlier), place it on high flame, (add oil if required) when the oil gets hot, add chopped garlic to it. Stir if for few secs.
- When the nice aroma will start coming from the garlic, add capsicum or green bell pepper(cut into cubes) to the pan. Stir it well.
- Then add onion(cut it into 8 pieces) to the pan by separating its every layer from each other as shown in the pic. Stir it nicely.
- Next add the green chillies( cut it into diagonal slice) to the pan, as shown in the pic. Then add 1/2 inch julienne cut ginger to the pan and mix it well.
- Then add 1/2 cup finely chopped spring onion to the pan and give a quick stir.
- Next, add 2 tsp soya sauce and 3 tbsp tomato ketchup to the pan. Mix it nicely.
- Then add 1 tbsp green chill sauce or red chilli sauce to the pan and add 1 tsp vinegar too. Give it a good stir.
- Next, add black or white pepper(crushed or powdered) and salt to the pan and stir it quickly.
- Then take a bowl with 1 1/2 cup of water, add 2 1/2 tbsp corn flour to it, mix it well to get a lump-free mix.
- Immediately add the cornflour mix to the pan and bring it to boil. As it’s in high flame won’t take much time to boil.
- Once the gravy starts boiling, add the batter-fried prawns to the pan and give it a good stir.
- Prawns won’t take more than 2-3 mins to get done, then sprinkle chopped spring onion leaves from the top. Stir it well and turn off the flame.
- Serve this chilli prawns recipe hot with Chinese style fried rice or noddles.
Try this recipe at home and please let me know your valuable feedback by writing it down in the comment section below.
- 15 mins marination in the batter will make the prawns soft as salt has been used in it. After the addition of salt, it has a tendency to release the water from the food and make it soft.
- Stir fry or tossing of the vegetables is required, that will hold the crunchiness of the veggies. And toss or stir each vegetable for few seconds after adding it to the pan.
- As I wanted to keep gravy in it, I used more water If you want to make it dry, add 1 cup of water with 2 tbsp of cornflour.
- While adding salt in the gravy, must be very careful as tomato ketchup and chili sauce both contain salt.
2 thoughts on “Chilli prawns gravy recipe | chinese style chilli prawns”
Browsed your website and loved your step by step yummy recipes…..
Please add me to your newsletter…
Thank you so much, Ms.Monica…still didn’t start my newsletter section…surely add you when it starts…till then you may visit my website http://www.spicypunch.com to get all recent updates.