Mayonnaise Chicken sandwich recipe – This chicken sandwich is a compilation of creamy mayo, boiled chicken meat & fresh crunchy salad stuffed between two butter-toasted sliced bread. A simple yet delicious sandwich loaded with a mixed filling of shredded chicken, mayo, tomato ketchup, finely chopped onion-cucumber salad, and salt & pepper. Toasted in a plain tawa(English term griddle) or in a grill pan until the sandwich gets golden from both sides with a little crunch. Juicy & creamy from the inside & a slight crunch in every bite is a sign of the best sandwich, that is the specialty of my sandwich recipes too.
Though a griller toaster or sandwich griller can make the grilling easy. However, I don’t have that equipment, though you can prepare this sandwich in an electricgriller toaster or a sandwich maker whatever you have at your home. That electric equipment must give you the quick & best result. However, must check my homely sandwich grilling technique through this recipe & see how easy it is to apply at home.
I often make this mayonnaise chicken sandwich in my kitchen as it is a healthy, protein pact yet delicious breakfast. Even it is a quick tiffin idea for kids too. Especially If your kid loves to eat chicken, mayo & obviously sandwich. As my kid loves 3 of them. Even it doesn’t matter to him if the filling is sandwiched in white bread or rolled in homemade roti bread.
As time is less in the morning so I used a few tricks for making quick chicken sandwiches for school’s tiffin or breakfast. Likewise, last night I boil the chicken and shred it before keeping it in the fridge. The next day morning, take out the shredded chicken from the fridge, mix it up with mayonnaise,onion-cucumber salad, salt & pepper seasoning, and stuff it between two bread slices. Toast it or grill it or simply wrap it in a cling wrap and pack the tiffin or serve it as breakfast with tomato ketchup. You can make it ready just in a couple of minutes. If the stuffing is ready, chicken sandwich doesn’t take more than 10 mins to get ready.
Why mayonnaise is used in making most chicken sandwich recipes?
Generally, mayo is used to make a creamy and delicious filling & works as a binder to easily hold the shredded chicken pieces and & chopped veggies fillings. Same as mayo is used as a dressing in making chicken salad recipes. Even this sandwich filling is incomplete without mayo as two bread slices can not hold dry chicken pieces and salad between them without mayo.
What kind of mayonnaise is best to use in making this mayonnaise chicken sandwich?
Generally, two types of mayonnaise are available in the market. One is veg mayo generally made with garlic, and another mayo is made with egg yolk powder. Both are delicious, you can use any one of this mayonnaise which suits you best as per your veg and nonveg food habits. You can check the ingredients written over its container. Use any varieties of mayo(with egg and without egg), as per your choice. Though here I used the egg-based mayonnaise which I love most for its great taste.
How to prepare healthy chicken sandwich?
Step 1–Change the bread: To make it healthy, first, use whole wheat bread or multigrain bread instead of using all-purpose flour bread.
Step 2–Replace butter: Generally butter is a common ingredient of any sandwich recipe. Basically, used to spread on the bread slices. It makes the sandwich tasty, flavourful, and also helps to that golden brown texture after toasting. To make a healthy sandwich, either don’t use butter or use low-fat butter or margarine spread.
Step 3–Substitute of Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise contains high calories, so low-fat yogurt or Greek yogurt, or even hung curd can be its best healthy substitute. Though then the yogurt or curd must be fresh to avoid getting the sour taste. Even you can use the homemade low-fat yogurt prepared from the low-fat milk.
Step 4: Cut off the cheese: Cheese is not mandatory for making this recipe if not making it for kids. As kids love cheese and if they are not consuming much so does not bad for health. However, cheese is not healthy for elders, so we elders should avoid using it.
Follow all the steps described above to make a healthy chicken sandwich recipe.
If you are searching for other quick sandwich recipes ideas for breakfast, then you can also check my Cheese Mayo Sandwich recipe.
Even you may try my Kids’ Special Chicken Burger recipe too.
Recipe card for Mayonnaise chicken sandwich recipe
Mayonnaise Chicken Sandwich – Chicken sandwich recipe with mayo and saladCourse: BreakfastCuisine: EnglishDifficulty: Easy
Mayonnaise Chicken Sandwich is a simple yet delicious chicken sandwich recipe stuffed with shredded chicken, mayonnaise, finely chopped onion-cucumber salad, salt & pepper. Toast in a plain tawa(griddle) or a grilled pan to make it golden with a little crunch.
For Making chicken sandwich
Sandwich bread slices(as required)
2 chicken breasts (boiled & shredded)
1/2 cup or 8 tbsp mayonnaise
1/2 cup onion(chopped)
1/2 cup cucumber(chopped)
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
3/4 tsp pepper(as per taste)
1/4 tsp salt(as per taste)
- For cooking chicken
225 gm Chicken breast
a small piece of Ginger
10 Garlic cloves
1 1/2 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Salt
1 cup of Water
Making of Mayonnaise chicken sandwich
Step 1- Cooking Chicken
- Heat the pressure cooker with chicken, half-crushed ginger-garlic paste, salt, oil.
- After sauteeing the chicken add water, let it boil.
- Once the water starts boiling, close the lid of the cooker and let the cooker blows 3 whistles.
- Then turn off the heat. Open the cooker when it cools down or releases its pressure automatically.
- Chicken is perfectly boiled but its stock is still left in the cooker, so again turn on the heat and keep the flame on high to dry off the stock.
- Once the stock dries off, take the chicken pieces out, if hot, use two forks to shred it easily. Or you may shred it by hand once it cools down.
- Step 2 – Making chicken mayonnaise filling
- Keep the shredded chicken in a mixing bowl.
- Mix it along with cucumber and onion(finely chopped or cubed), mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, a little salt, and pepper(black or white any). Keep it aside.
- Step 3 – Preparing Chicken sandwich
- Take the sliced sandwich bread or bun or loaf, and spread the butter on it(one side or both sides).
- Put the filling on the bread(on which side spreads the butter), then put the other bread slices on their top.
- For making a chicken cheese sandwich, put the cheese slice just on the filling(shown in the pic below) then put another bread slice on its top.
- Step 4 – Grilling or toasting chicken sandwich
- Heat a plain tawa on the stove, put the sandwiches on it, press it with a spatula against the hot tawa, (shown in the pic below). Once the one side gets golden brown in color, flip it off and again press it down to get the same effect for the other side.
- For making chicken grilled sandwich do the same as I did in the last step. Heat a grilled pan on the stove, put the sandwich on the pan, press it down with a spatula against the hot pan, until getting the golden brown color from one side. Then flip it off as seen in the pic described below. Flip it off and again press it down to get until it gets the pan’s grilled effect from the other side.
- Our homemade plain & grilled chicken sandwich is ready, take a sharp bread cutter knife, diagonally cut the sandwiches, serve it with tomato ketchup and enjoy.
- If you don’t have enough time in hand, just take out the chicken from the stock and use it in this recipe. However, don’t waste the stock as it is very healthy, full of protein and nutrients. So keep it in the fridge for later use in making soup or stew.
- Mayonnaise, tomato ketchup contains salt, even chicken is prepared with salt too. So add the salt as per your taste.
- Here, I have used 6 bread slices to make 3 sandwiches, however, with this filling, you can make 7 chicken sandwiches.
- If the filling is left, keep it in the fridge in an air-tight container
Step-by-step instructions with pictures
Making Mayonnaise chicken sandwich
Step 1 – To cook chicken
- Clean and wash the chicken(mainly chicken breast or boneless chicken pieces) and drain it well.
- Take a small piece of ginger and 8-10 garlic cloves in a mortar pestle, little crush it.
- Put a pressure cooker on the stove, and add the chicken into it along with the half-crushed ginger-garlic, salt, and oil.
- Heat the cooker and saute the chicken until its water dries off. Then add water, mix it well and let it boil.
- Once the water starts boiling, close the lid of the cooker and let the cooker blows 3 whistles. Then turn off the heat. Open the cooker when it cools down or releases its pressure automatically.
- Chicken is perfectly boiled but its stock is still left in the cooker. Turn off the heat and keep the flame on high to dry off its stock. Don’t waste the stock as it is a very healthy and protein pact too. Either dry off the stock or keep it in the fridge for later use in making soup or stew.
- Once the stock dries off, take the chicken pieces out, if hot, use two forks to shred it easily. Or you may shred it by hand once the chicken cools down. Keep it in a mixing bowl.
Step 2- To make chicken mayonnaise filling
- Now mix the chicken along with cucumber and onion, mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, a little salt, and pepper(black or white any). Now the sandwich filling is ready, keep it aside.
Step 3- Preparing mayonnaise chicken sandwich
- Spread the butter on the bread(preferably sandwich bread) slices. Then put the filling on the bread(on which side spreads the butter) as shown in the pic. Then put the other bread slices on their top.
- For making chicken cheese sandwich for kids, put the cheese slice on the bread just after the filling(as shown in the steps below) then put another bread slice on its top.
Step 4- Grilling or toasting chicken sandwich
- Heat a plain tawa on the stove, put the sandwiches on it, and press it with a spatula against the hot tawa. As shown in the pic. Once the one side gets golden brown in color, flip it off and again press it down to get the same effect for the other side.
- For making chicken grilled sandwich, do the same as I did in the last step. Heat a grilled pan on the stove, put the sandwich on the pan, and press it down with a spatula against the hot pan, until getting a golden brown color from one side. Then flip it off as seen in the pic below. Flip it off and again press it down to get until it gets the pan’s grilled effect from the other side.
- Our homemade plain & grilled chicken mayonnaise sandwich is ready. Take a sharp bread cutter knife, diagonally cut the sandwiches, serve them with tomato ketchup and enjoy.
You can easily store the shredded chicken for 1-2 days, and best to make it filling on the day you are planning to eat. As mayonnaise is a milk product so may react with other ingredients or can damage the filling if kept for a long time. Even the salad may lose its crunch too. So I will not suggest storing it in the fridge for more than 1 day. If you want to prepare it for the next day party or early morning breakfast. However, don’t toast it, wrap it in cling paper or keep it in an air-tight container and store it in the fridge. Toast it later when going to eat.
What kind of bread is best to make this sandwich?
Generally, sandwich bread is used in making any sandwich recipes, so as used in this recipe too. Just because sandwich bread slices are bigger than the plain bread and it looks good, that’s it. However, you can use plain bread(as I did) even bun or English loaf too, but not the milk bread.
How to use chicken in this mayonnaise chicken sandwich?
Generally, boiled shredded chicken is used in making any chicken sandwich recipe. Even you can cut the chicken pieces into tiny chunks to make this sandwich filling.
Even for a quick and easy substitute, you can use left-over chicken(cooked or fried) for making this sandwich stuffing.
Is tomato ketchup mandatory for making this sandwich?
Tomato ketchup or tomato sauce is generally used in all Indian-style sandwich recipes to bring a little tanginess to its filling. Even it is the best accompaniment t any kind of sandwich. Though it is not so mandatory, you can skip it too.
Though whoever doesn’t like ketchup in sandwiches,1 tbsp lemon juice or any vinegar-based canned pickle can be the best substitute to bring the same tanginess. However, skip it if dislike tanginess.
Which veggies can be used as a salad in making this chicken sandwich recipe?
All edible raw veggies cut in chunks/slices/chopped is called salad in India. Even used in all Indian sandwich recipes to make the sandwich healthy by adding some crunch. Here I used cucumber and onion as a salad. However, other edible raw veggies like tomatoes, carrots, bell pepper, lettuce, radish, and even fresh herbs(like coriander/cilantro), also can be used in making its salad.