Crispy Chicken lollipop recipe – Learn how to make restaurant-style delicious chicken lollipop at homestep-by-step with pictures. Chicken lollipop is one of the most popular chicken wings starters among all finger-licking chicken starters prepared in indo-Chinese cuisine. It is basically a recipe of a batter-coated deep fried chicken wings starter, made by frenched cut chicken drumettes and wingettes(described below). These fried chicken wings are unique for juicy and flavourful from the inside and superb crunchy from the outside. It is mostly served with a spicy red schezwan sauce or sweet chilli garlic dip.
Though chicken lollipop is a specialty of Indian-Chinese cuisine, however, this recipe is indeed easy to make at home. In Indo-Chinese restaurants, you may find the closed version of this classic dish named drums of heaven. Drums of heaven mean fried chicken wings are tossed in a sweet and spicy sauce-based gravy.
My today’s recipe is about the dry chicken lollipop. In this recipe, raw french cut chicken wings pieces are marinated in ginger-garlic paste & a few spices with hot & sweet Chinese sauces. Lastly, simply coated in a batter and deep-fried in oil until crisp. As my kid mostly loves the crunchiness of this dish, I never tossed it in any sauce. Though you may toss or stir fry these fried wings in spicy schezwan sauce or sweet chilli garlic sauce(described as a dipping sauce in my recipe).
Both recipes are so scrumptious. As if the deep-fried lollipop is dry so makes more crunch. On the other hand, its tossed version is a little more hot and spicy. Even the tossed lollipops need to finish quickly before their cover gets soggy and loses the original taste. It is quite close to our dry chilli chicken recipe.
As we know chicken wings are used for making this lollipop recipe. But do you know, from the whole chicken wings, only the upper part of the wings( called drumettes, and wingettes) are cut through frenching method used for making this recipe? (Frenching method is used to prepare chicken lollipop pieces from the chicken wings.) Whereas the end or tip portions are removed. Even “with skin” chicken wings are one more important criteria for making this dish.
For making the recipe, firstly I marinate the wings pieces in tomato ketchup, red chili sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and a few more regular spices with ginger-garlic paste, and secondly made a perfect batter with all-purpose flour-cornflour to coat the pieces with before deep frying.
As chicken lollipops are a batter-coated chicken starter only deep-frying can give you the best crispiness. But due to deep-frying, it contains high calories. So if you are afraid of consuming more calories or having any health issues, enjoy this lollipop with shallow frying too. Even you can bake it in an oven or use an air fryer to cut down the total calories that come from oil frying. Though I use a pinch of red food color (not mandatory), however, no use of MSG(Monosodium glutamate/Ajinomoto). So from that sense, it is healthy as do not make any bad effect on your health.
Try this delicious chicken wings starter at home, my step-by-step recipe(described with pictures) will help you best, I guess. Serve it as a starter or appetizer just before dinner or serve it with a meal too. Trust me, your family will simply love it mainly kids, for sure.
Even you may share your valuable feedback about this recipe in the comment section below.
Crispy chicken lollipop recipe at home
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins
No. of servings: 12
Author: Moumita Paul
- 400 gm or 12 pcs Chicken lollipops pieces
- 2 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Soya sauce
- 3/4 tsp Red chilli sauce
- 2 tsp Tomato ketchup
- 1/2 tsp Vinegar
- 1.5 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp black/white Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Oil for deep frying
For making batter
- 6 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 5 tbsp Cornflour
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 cup of Water
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- A pinch of Red Food Colour
How to make crispy chicken lollipop recipe at home step by step with pictures
How to marinade
- First, wash and clean the lollipops (drumettes and wingettes) pieces, remove all the excess water from the chicken, keep it in a mixing bowl.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, red chilli sauce, soya sauce, chilli powder, black or white pepper, tomato ketchup, salt, and vinegar, then mix it well altogether. Cover the bowl and leave it for at least 1 hr.
Making the batter
- Once the marination is ready, then take another mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients, like all-purpose flour or plain maida, cornflour, salt, Kashmiri red chilli powder, mix it well.
- Then start adding water to the flour mixture and mix it gently. Add the water into a few batches to get a smooth creamy batter with right consistency.
- Once the batter is done, add a pinch of red food colour, mix it nicely. Check the consistency of the batter as you can see that won’t be too thick.
How to fry chicken lollipop
- Add the marinated chicken into the batter, mix it thoroughly. Keep it aside.
- Heat a deep fry pan on medium flame, for deep frying add a generous amount of refined oil. Let the oil gets hot.
- Once the oil gets hot, take out the chicken from the batter, first remove the excess batter, and then put it into the oil. Fry it into low to medium flame.
- Thoroughly fry the lollipops from all sides until it gets golden brown in color. Remove it from the pan.
- Chicken lollipops are ready, I serve them with my homemade hot & spicy red chilli garlic dip(momo chutney) or schezwan sauce. I wrapped the bones with aluminum foil though it is totally optional.
Tips & tricks about this recipe
- Cleaned chicken wings are not easily available in local markets. However, in specific chicken shops or online apps are ready to deliver the perfect lollipops’ pieces at a reasonable price.
- Even you may request the butcher for making the pieces of lollipops. If that particular pieces are not available around, you can even make this lollipop with chicken drumsticks pieces too by applying the same method.
- While making the batter, don’t add the whole water at a time. Slowly mix it into few batches.
- Using red food color is optional, just to use the street style looks, however, you may skip this step.
- Don’t fry it in high flame otherwise chicken won’t be cooked from inside and its cover will immediately get brown.