Chicken lollipop recipe – Learn how to make restaurant style delicious & crispy chicken lollipops at home from scratch with 10 easysteps. Chicken lollypop is one of the most popular chicken wings starters prepared in indo-Chinese cuisine. Juicy and flavourful on the inside and superbly crunchy on the outside. Served with a spicy red schezwan sauce or sweet chilli garlic dip. It is quick & easy to make at home with great taste! Even a good way to use up leftover chicken parts too.
Chicken lollipops are basically, batter coated deep fried with skin chicken wings pieces. Known as chicken drumettes and chicken wingettes. It is served in both ways, dry and tossed in sauce (called drums of heaven). This is a dry version of the chicken lollipop recipe.
For making this chicken lollipop, chicken lollypop pieces are first marinated in tomato ketchup, red chili sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and a few more regular spices with ginger-garlic paste. Then made a smooth batter with all-purpose flour cornflour, and red food colour (optional) water to coat the pieces. Then simply deep frying to get it perfect. Here I do not use MSG(Monosodium glutamate/Ajinomoto).
However, If you want to make Drums of heaven, then toss or stir fry these fried wings in spicy schezwan sauce or sweet chilli garlic sauce (described as a dipping sauce in my recipe).
Both recipes are so scrumptious. As if the deep-fried lollipop is dry so making more crunch. On the other hand, its tossed version is a little more hot and spicy. Even the tossed lollipops need to eat quickly before their cover gets soggy and loses its original taste. It is quite close to our dry chilli chicken recipe.
Due to deep-frying, along with crispiness, it contains high calories. So if you do not want to consume more calories or have any health issues, enjoy this lollypop with shallow frying too. Even you can bake it in an oven or use an air fryer to cut down the total calories that come from oil frying.
Serve it as a starter or appetizer just before dinner or with a meal or enjoy it as party snacks. Trust me, your family will simply love it mainly kids, for sure.
You will love this homemade chicken lollipop! So easy to make & taste amazing! So Make these chicken lollipops at home today! Let me know your valuable feedback in the comment section below.
Serve it as a starter or appetizer just before dinner or with a meal or enjoy it as party snacks. Fun snacks that kids love. A good way to use up leftover chicken parts.
Even you may share your valuable feedback about this recipe in the comment section below.
Chicken Lollipop recipe
- 400 gm or 12 pcs Chicken lollipops pieces
- 2 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Soya sauce
- 3/4 tsp Red chilli sauce
- 2 tsp Tomato ketchup
- 1/2 tsp Vinegar
- 1.5 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp black/white Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Oil for deep frying
For making batter
- 6 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 5 tbsp Cornflour
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 cup of Water
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- A pinch of Red Food Colour
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins
No. of servings: 12
Author: Moumita Paul
How To Make Chicken Lollipops recipe (With 10 easy Steps)
- First, wash and clean the lollipops pieces, fully discard the water, and keep it in a mixing bowl.
2. Add ginger-garlic paste, red chilli sauce, soya sauce, chilli powder, pepper powder, tomato ketchup, salt, and vinegar, then mix it well altogether. Cover the bowl & marinade for 1 hour.
3. Once the marination is ready, in another mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour (plain maida), cornflour, salt, Kashmiri red chilli powder, and mix it well.
4. Then start adding water to the mixture in a few batches to get a smooth creamy batter with the right consistency. (As shown in the pic below)
5. Once the batter is done, add a pinch of red food colour (optional), and again mix it well.
How to fry chicken lollipops
6. Add the marinated chicken to the batter, and mix it thoroughly. Keep it aside.
7. Heat a deep fry pan on medium flame, and add a generous amount of vegetable oil. Let the oil release smokes.
8. Once the oil gets hot, take out the chicken from the batter, first remove the excess batter, and then put it into the oil. Fry it on low to medium flame.
9. Thoroughly fry the lollipops from all sides until it gets golden brown in color. Remove it from the pan.
10. Chicken lollipop is ready, I serve them with my homemade hot & spicy red chilli garlic dip (or momo chutney) or schezwan sauce. I wrapped the bones with aluminum foil though it is totally optional.
Tips & tricks about Chicken Lollipops
- Cleaned chicken wings are not easily available in local markets. However, specific chicken shops or online apps are ready to deliver the perfect lollypops’ pieces at a reasonable price.
- Even you may request the butcher for making the pieces of lollipops. If that particular pieces are not available around, you can even make this recipe with chicken drumsticks pieces too by applying the same method.
- While making the batter, don’t add the whole water at a time. Slowly mix it into a few batches.
- Using red food color is optional, just to use the street style or restaurant style looks, however, you may skip this step.
- Don’t fry it on high flame otherwise chicken won’t be cooked from the inside and its cover will immediately get brown.