Crispy chicken lollipop recipe – Learn how to make this crispy & delicious chicken lollipop recipe at home with detailed step-by-step pictures. Chicken lollipop is the most popular chicken wings starter from our indo-chinese cuisine. This chicken lollipop is basically a recipe for a batter-fried crispy chicken wings starter made by drumettes and wingettes(described below). This chicken wings starter is juicy and flavourful from the inside and superb crunchy from the outside. It is mostly served with a spicy schezwan sauce or sweet chili dip.
Though this crispy chicken lollipop is a specialty of Indian- Chinese cuisine however this recipe is very easy to make at home. In Indo-Chinese restaurants, you may found this chicken lollipop as drums of heaven, where you may see two variations of this crispy chicken wings starter, 1. a simply batter-fried crispy and dry chicken wings (as mine), and 2. when crispy fried chicken wings are tossed in a sweet and spicy sauce-based gravy.
My today’s recipe is about the dry chicken lollipop where chicken wings are marinated in few spices and hot and sweet chinese sauces then simply coated in a batter and deep-fried in oil until gets crispy. As my kid mostly loves the crunchiness of this dish so I never tossed in any sauce while making it at home. Though you may toss or stir fry these fried wings in spicy schezwan sauce or sweet chilli garlic sauce(described as a dipping sauce in my recipe).
Though both are so scrumptious, as if the deep-fried chicken lollipop is dry so makes more crunch, on the other hand, its tossed version is a little more hot and spicy. Even the tossed lollipops need to finish quickly before its cover gets soggy and lose the original taste.
As we know chicken wings are used for making this chicken lollipop recipe. But do you know, from the whole chicken wings, only the upper part of the wings( called drumettes, and wingettes) are used and not the tip portions? Even “with skin” chicken wings are one more important criteria for making this dish.
For making these crispy fried chicken lollipops, firstly I marinate the wings pieces in tomato ketchup, red chilli sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and few more regular spices with ginger-garlic paste, and secondly made a perfect batter with all-purpose flour-cornflour to coat the pieces with before deep frying.
As chicken lollipops are a batter-coated chicken starter so only deep-frying can give you the best crispiness. But due to deep-frying, it contains high calories. So if you afraid of consuming more calories or having any health issues, enjoy this lollipop with shallow frying too. Even you can bake it in an oven or use an air fryer to cut down the total calories that come from oil frying. Though I use a pinch of red food colour(not mandatory), however, no use of msg doesn’t make any bad effect on your health.
Try this delicious chicken lollipop at home. Serve it as a starter or appetizer just before dinner or serve it with a meal too. Trust me, your family will simply love it mainly kids, for sure.
You may also check some of the other Indian and continental starters from my website. Crispy Batter Fried Prawns, Fried Prawn Balls, Crispy Fried Chicken Tenders, Prawn Tempura, Tandoori Chicken, and many more.
Even you may share your valuable feedback about this recipe in the comment section below.
Crispy chicken lollipop recipe
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins
No. of servings: 12
Author: Moumita Paul
- 400 gm or 12 chicken lollipop’s pieces
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 3/4 tsp red chilli sauce
- 2 tsp tomato ketchup
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1.5 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Oil for deep frying
For making batter
- 6 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- a pinch of red food colour
How to make crispy chicken lollipop recipe at home with step by step pictures
How to marinade the chicken wings
- First, wash and clean the chicken lollipops (drumettes and wingettes) pieces, remove all the excess water from the chicken, keep it in a mixing bowl.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, red chilli sauce, soya sauce, chilli powder, black pepper, tomato ketchup, salt, and vinegar with chicken, then mix it well. Cover the bowl and leave it for at least 1 hr.
How to make chicken lollipop’s batter
- Once the marination is ready, then take another mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients, like all-purpose flour or plain maida, cornflour, salt, Kashmiri red chilli powder, mix it well.
- Then start adding water to the flour mixture and mix it gently. Add the water into a few batches to get a smooth batter.
- Once the batter is done, add a pinch of red food colour, mix it nicely. Check the consistency of the batter as you can see that won’t be too thick.
How to make chicken lollipop
- Add the marinated chicken into the batter, mix it thoroughly. Keep it aside.
- Heat a deep fry pan on medium flame, for deep frying add a generous amount of refined oil. Let the oil gets hot.
- Once the oil gets hot, take out the chicken from the batter, first remove the excess batter, and then put it into the oil. Fry it into low to medium flame.
- Thoroughly fry the lollipops from all sides until it gets golden brown in color. Remove it from the pan.
- Chicken lollipops are ready, I serve them with my homemade hot and spicy schezwan sauce. I wrapped the bones with aluminum foil though it is totally optional.
- Though cleaned chicken wings are not easily available in local markets but in specific chicken shops or online apps are ready to deliver the perfect lollipops’ pieces.
- Even you may request the butcher for making the pieces of lollipops. If that particular pieces are not available around, you may even make this lollipop with chicken drumsticks pieces too by applying the same method.
- While making the batter don’t add the whole water at a time, slowly mix it into few batches.
- Using red food color is optional, you may skip this step.
- Don’t fry it in high flame otherwise chicken won’t be cooked from inside and its cover will immediately get brown.