Bhetki macher paturi or bhetki(barramundi) fish paturi recipe with step by step pictures. Bhetki paturi is a traditional preparation of Bhetki or barramundi fish, where basically well-marinated boneless vetki or bhetki fillets are wrapped up in banana leaf for making this recipe either by slow cooking in a greased pan or steamed up.
Actually, paturi is a bengali term, where first fish fillets or pieces are coated well in mustard and poppy seeds, green chilli, coconut paste with mustard oil and then it’s placed in banana leaf, gourd leaf or arbi leaf to fold it up nicely before slow cooking.
Paturi basically popular in Bengal since ages, and we prepare lots of paturi recipes with different fish. Though Ilish paturi and bhetki macher paturi recipe both have made their popularity among Bengalis with its traditional touch, nowadays people love to relish chingri macher paturi, rui macher paturi, even chicken er paturi.
As bhetki macher paturi is required slow cooking in a pan greased or without greased with oil, after wrapping it up with banana leaf, so you may easily prepare this recipe in the microwave too. Though I personally don’t prefer to prepare bhetki paturi in aluminum foil, if you don’t get a banana leaf or gourd leaf around, may use it.
A paturi recipe looks difficult to prepare but I always use my own tricks to make it simple with delicious taste. This recipe perfectly goes with white steamed rice or basmati rice with the wedges of gondhoraj lime or lebu. And I’ve revealed all my tricks through this recipe, to know the secret of this recipe stay with me till the end.
Try this bhetki macher paturi recipe at home and please share your valuable feedback in the comment section below.
Bhetki macher paturi recipe or bhetki fish paturi recipe
Prep time: 45 mins(including marination time)
Cook time: 16-20 mins
Served in: 1 hr 5 mins
Served for: 8 people
Ingredients of bhetki paturi
- 300 gms bhetki fish( 8 pieces bhetki fish fillets)
- 2 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp white mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 10 cashew nuts
- 4 green chillies
- 1/2 grated coconut
- 6 tbsp Curd
- 4 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- salt (as required)
For making the paturi packet
- banana leaf
- cotton thread
How to make bhetki macher paturi or bhetki fish paturi recipe in banana leaf with step by step pictures
How to marinate bhetki fish fillets with a perfect mustard paste for making this recipe
- First, take a bowl, add 2 tbsp black mustard seeds, 1 tbsp white mustard seeds and 1 tbsp poppy seeds to it and add water to it to soak it up. Keep it aside for 15 mins.
- Take a strainer and add 6 tbsp curd to it for removing the water from it. And keep the strainer on a bowl as shown in the pic. Leave it for 10-15 mins. But if you are using thick curd or even hung curd then don’t need to strain it.
- Now take the boneless bhetki fish fillets and first wash it and then put each fillet on one of your palms and put the other palm on it and slightly press it down to remove the excess water from it.
- Then keep all the boneless bhetki fillets on a plate and first sprinkle half of a lemon juice to it for marinating the fish for making this recipe. Nicely coat it from both sides and keep it aside for 10 mins.
- After 10 mins add 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, and 1 tbsp mustard oil to it and mix it nicely(coat from both sides) with it as shown in the pic. Keep it aside.
- once the mustard and poppy seeds nicely soaked in water(after 15 mins of soaking), take a small blender jar, strain the water and then first add the soaked seeds, 1/2 tsp salt, and 10 cashew nuts.
- And later add 4 green chillies and the hung crud(6 tbsp curd from the strainer) to the same bender jar for making a smooth paste out of it. As shown in the pic.
- Then add the 1/2 cup(measuring cup) or 8 tsp grated coconut to the same blender jar and blend it well to make a fine paste. As shown in the pic.
- Now pour the paste in a mixing bowl, add 1 tbsp turmeric, a little salt(as per taste) and 2 tbsp mustard oil to it. Mix it well.
- Then put all the bhetki fillets to the marination and mix it well.
- And lastly don’t forget to add the turmeric, salt, mustard, and lemon juice mix, which was used to marinate the fish fillets in the beginning. Mix it nicely and cover the bowl and leave it for 20 mins marination.
How to wrap and cook bhetki fish in banana leaf for making this paturi recipe
- Now take the banana leaves, first remove the stem and wash it thoroughly from both sides. Then turn on the flame to slightly roast the banana leaf from both sides.
- And take some cotton thread for tieing up the paturis or packet of banana leaf.
- Now make some square pieces of roasted banana leaves to make the packet as shown in the picture.
- Then take each piece of banana leaf, first put 1 tbsp of mustard paste then put one marinated bhetki fish fillet. As shown in the pic.
- lastly, the put some paste from the top to cover the fillet with the paste from both sides. And at the end before wrapping it with the banana leaf, put green chilli(slit) from the top. As shown in the picture.
- Then fold it up to make the packet and make sure that the paste should come out from the packet. And tie the packet nicely with the thread to secure the paste from dripping.
- Now heat a pan or skillet on medium heat, once the pan gets heated up add 1 tbsp mustard oil to it and nicely spread the oil over the pan or skillet.
- Add the packets in the pan, though the number of packets adding in the pan or skillet depends on the size of the pan.
- Then slow down the flame and cover the pan or skillet with a lid.
- After 7-8 mins remove the lid and turn over the packet and cover it once again.
- Wait for more 7-8 mins to get it cooked from the other side.
- When all the packets are properly cooked from both sides after a total time of 14-16 mins, turn off the heat.
- Then serve this hot bhetki macher paturi with sizzling hot steamed white rice or basmati rice.
- Here I’ve already explained how to soak the mustard seeds before making its paste and later added salt while grinding. And if you follow my instruction to make this paste, you never get that problem of the bitter taste in your mustard paste.
- First I marinade the bhetki or vetki fish in lemon juice to remove its smell. And then tenderize the boneless bhetki fish fillets for making this recipe. Later I added raw mustard oil to it which will also help to remove the raw smell of bhetki.
- If you follow my recipe, that mustard paste never comes out from the packet of banana leaf. As I ‘ve already removed the water from the curd before using it. Curd has always a tendency to remove the water.
- Even you can steam the paturis instead of slow cooking in the oil.