Baby corn manchurian recipe – it’s my crispy dry baby corn manchurian which is a mouthwatering veg starter of Indo chinese kitchen. Taste-wise manchurian recipes are sweeter than other Indian style Chinese recipes and it has no connection with original chinese food.
Actually manchurian is prepared with a perfect combination of chilli sauce and sweet & sour tomato ketchup and the last one almost plays the key ingredient in this recipe just after baby corn. However in India, manchurian is so popular and it can be easily available everywhere from street-side fast food stalls to Indo Chinese and multi-cuisine restaurants.
Today I’m going to share one of those popular manchurian recipes which I mostly prepare as evening time snacks. That’s non-other than my crispy baby corn manchurian. I basically prepare the dry version of this recipe as my kid loves the crunch of baby corn with its every bite. Though you may prepare your baby corn manchurian with gravy too for serving as a side dish with fried rice or noddles.
Baby corn manchurian is a very simple and easy dish which can be quickly made at home. For making this recipe just maida-corn flour coated deep fried baby corns need to be sautéed in different chinese sauce and seasoning with salt and pepper. Even I use capsicum and onion too for making it more colourful and off course for adding some more crunch too.
Though baby corn is considered as a healthy vegetable however this manchurian recipe doesn’t follow the same. Means it’s really a good appetizer but for deep frying and tossing in different sauces it could not be healthy anymore. Even I’m sorry to say, if you are more conscious about calories then also this recipe is not for you.
In Bangalore, Manchurians are very common in all street-side small food corners and they make all types of manchurian recipes with cauliflower, baby corn, and mushrooms. Just after coming to Bangalore, mostly at the weekend my husband and I usually visit those roadside eateries for some chatpata evening snacks. Though I’m pure nonvegetarian, after having their manchurian especially with gobi and baby corn won my heart. Till then I’m a huge fan of it and then my kid.
But today I’ve applied my own method for making this manchurian recipe. To let you know each and every detail of this recipe I described it with step by step pictures. I hope that will help you a lot to easily make it at home.
Try this crispy and dry restaurant-style best baby corn manchurian at home and enjoy its awesome crispiness. If you enjoy my cooking so don’t forget to share your valuable feedback in the comment section below.
You may try my sweet corn soup recipe or veg momos recipe too as a good veg appetizer too. Even you may check some of my indo chinese recipes like, veg fried rice, chilli chicken and chilli prawns recipe.
Baby corn manchurian recipe | crispy dry baby corn manchurian
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 20 min
Served in: 30 min
Served for: 4 people
Course: snacks/ starter
Cuisine: Indo Chinese
Author: Moumita Paul
For boiling the baby corns
- 200 gms baby corn
- 2 and 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tsp salt
For frying the baby corns
- 3 tbsp maida
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- refined oil for deep frying
For making the gravy
- 2 medium onion
- 1 capsicum
- 1/2 tsp ginger (chopped)
- 2 tsp garlic(chopped)
- 2-3 green chillis
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp chilli flakes or chilli powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp spring onion
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 cup water(125 ml)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt(as required)
How to make baby corn manchurian (dry and crispy)
Preparation of this recipe
- Take a pan with 2 1/2 cup of water and 1 tsp of salt and make it boil.
- Then wash and make the baby corn ready by cutting it into diagonally or ring cut first.
- When the water starts boiling add the corn in it and leave it for 5 mins.
- After 5 mins strain the baby corns immediately and keep it in a mixing bowl.
- Then add 3 tbsp corn flour and 3 tbsp plain flour or maida, 1 tsp pepper powder, 1/4 tsp salt to the baby corns and mix it well with the help of a spoon or just toss the corn in its dry ingredients.
- Once the baby corns coated well in it then keep it aside.
How to fry baby corn
- Place a pan to high heat, once the pan gets hot, add refined oil for deep frying.
- When the oil gets hot then add the coated baby corn in hot oil, and fry it. But must remove the excess flour from the corn before adding in the oil.
- While frying, don’t touch the corn for 1 min otherwise its coating will come out.
- After 1 min of frying gently stir the baby corns and fry the corn from both sides till it gets nice golden brown color from both sides as shown in the pic. Remove it from the pan. In the same way, finish the frying of all batches.
How to make the gravy
- Take a small mixing bowl, add 3 tbsp tomato ketchup, 1 tbsp red chili sauce, 3/4 tsp chili flakes or chilli powder, 1 tsp soya sauce, and mix it well. Then add 1 tsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix it again and keep it aside.
- Then take the same pan(used for frying corn) remove the oil from it. And again add only 3 tbsp oil(used in this recipe) in the pan and place it on high heat.
- Once the oil gets hot then add 2 tsp chopped garlic and 1/2 tsp chopped ginger in the pan, little sautéed for 10-15 secs. Then add the 1 tbsp chopped spring onion bulbs or just 1 tbsp finely chopped onion. Fry it for 30 secs.
- Then add 2 medium cube cut onion to the pan sauté for few secs then add the capsicum(cube cut) to the pan. Toss or stir it for almost 1 min.
- Add the sauce mix to the pan mix it well with other veggies.
- Then add 2 fine cut green chilies and stir or toss it well for 1 to 2 mins.
- Lastly, add 1/2 tsp of sugar to remove the tanginess and balance the sweetness of ketchup even you may skip it too.
- In the meantime take a small bowl, add 2 tbsp cornflour and add 1/2 cup(or 125 ml) water to it. Mix it well.
- Immediately add this cornflour water to the pan and mix it well. Let the gravy starts boiling.
How to make baby corn manchurian
- Once the gravy starts boiling add the fried crispy baby corn to it and nicely coat it with the gravy.
- Just stir or toss the baby corn for 30 secs into the gravy and turn off the heat. Lastly, add 2 tbsp of spring onion to the gravy and mix it well. And your crispy dry baby corn manchurian is ready to serve.
- If you don’t get baby corn in the local shops or market, you may order it from online vegetable delivery apps, as most of the time I did it.
- For serving it as a side dish make its gravy and that needs to add more water and cornflour. Even you may check how I make my chili chicken gravy from my chilli chicken recipe.
- But to intact, the crunch in baby corn and veggies don’t cook it much into the gravy.
- As its a very quick recipe so keep all ingredients ready in front of your hands.
- Like all other Chinese recipes as we follow the same tossing or quick stir method. So may use a wok or thin bottom pan. Though I use a normal nonstick pan.
- Though manchurian is a sweet version of chilli baby corn recipe and the use of more tomato ketchup than chilli just makes the difference from one to another. But I’ve used little more chili in it to make it little spicy. However, you may add chilies as per your requirement.
- Even you may have these crispy fried baby corn itself as evening snacks by dipping in any sauce.